"Disfellowshipping" - a word being phased out? (Anybody got a WBTS CD?)

by sass_my_frass 48 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The term 'shun' is used as late as 2006, but never is directly applied to those who are 'apostate' or have just left the organization. Yet the impication is implicit in the way they use the term. Clearly jw's would have no problem making the jump to the conclusion that disfellowshipped persons would be included.

I suspect that most jw's will continue to think in terms of disfellowshipping for a long time. Case in point, even into the 90's I recall some older Witnesses using terms like 'Jonadab', and most of us who did not use the term in our generation still quickly understood the meaning.

I think the 'phasing out' is likely legal - but custom within the congregations will continue the use [and spirit] of the word for a long time.

Jeff

• RR
    RR

I remember when they use to announce ones DFing in every congregation in the circuit, they even told you the "sin" that was committed. Ah, the good ole days

• blondie
    blondie

2006 WT disfellowship* 28 times 2006 KM disfellowship* 1 time 2006 JD disfellowship* 5 times 34 times Actually in the last 4 years, the number of time disfellowship* has been used has increased.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Does the WT-CD accept wildcard search strings (i.e. *)? If so, it will greatly help my searches.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Watchtower, January 15, 2007 page 20

• RR
    RR

while we're at it, I've noticed that my 2005 CD no longer works, has the Society installed a self-destruct mechanism in them?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    while we're at it, I've noticed that my 2005 CD no longer works, has the Society installed a self-destruct mechanism in them?

The WT cd-roms have aposta-sensors in them. If the Holy Spirit indicates to a cd-rom that it is living in an apostate home, yes it will self-destruct.

Nvr

• journey-on
    journey-on

The WTS lawyers/writers are becoming masters at covering their sorry a**es theocratic warfare.

• erandir
    erandir

This sounds similar to a new practice at work. In the past, the supervisor would announce that an employee has quit or has been fired or whatever, but now the new policy is that the supervisor announces that "So-so has decided no longer to pursue employment at this company." I think it is a way to avoid a lawsuit, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking slander or something like that maybe.

Seems like yet another practice taken from the business world...just like the whole sales and business meeting thing, I mean the TMS/Service meeting.

Erandir

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    2006 WT disfellowship* 28 times 2006 KM disfellowship* 1 time 2006 JD disfellowship* 5 times 34 times Actually in the last 4 years, the number of time disfellowship* has been used has increased.

Well, there goes that theory! I guess it's just about the significance of the announcement being made when people are quitting or getting fired. Keeping it vague contributes to all their purposes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit