I wonder if my son is having 2nd thoughts about getting baptized?

by lavendar 16 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Maybe doing the opposite will win him over?

Good advice, Highlander.

You don't want to slam the door shut by closing him out and eliminating any chance!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

You dont have to go out in service to go to the kingdom hall. Once you get baptized you dont have to go out in service. But they would probably use psychological pressure to encourage spreading the good news. Better he join the elks club or toastmasters.

I dont know why someone would want to be a witnoid if they didnt want to knock on doors. Thats what the group is all about speading the good news of the soon to be here kingdom. Its just running about a hundred years late. But time to Jehober is inconsequential.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

My husband once studied with a guy who was doing it to "get the girl". He studied like twice a week and was baptized within six months. Fast tracked. He and she ran right out and got a ring and she plops down in the hall next to me one day and is showing me this engagement ring and I said..."Oh...I didnt know your ex had remarried?" She said...oh no he didnt. I said oh so you know he is having an affair? Shes like oh no...I havent seen him in a couple years. So I bit the bullet. "You really arent free to remarry are you Tina?" And she just laughed!

They not only were married but soon afterwards BOTH of them were disfellowshipped and he wasnt even dry behind the ears. Her bride price was his baptizm. He was humiliated and furious with her. They got an annulment and he never spoke to her again. She somehow forgot to tell this poor schlub that she COULDNT marry him!

The things people do to each other.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Unfortunately, everybody gets to choose exactly how they want to screw up their own lives....

Change the angle you're taking with your son. Don't attack the JWs - that taps right into the persecution complex and drives them in deeper. Instead, talk about how you feel about the way that his behaviour towards you has changed. Tell him that you're worried that you will see less of him because he will think you're not as worthy as a person as a JW is. If he starts preaching, draw a line: if he doesn't talk about religion, you won't. Point out that you're sad that he doesn't talk about anything else these days. Tell him about how happy he used to be when he did XYZ, and how unhappy he seems now.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Good morning! Thanks so much for the input, you guys.

He and I have had talks about the WTS, but maybe I should cool it. When he was growing up, he always did the opposite of what he was told to do. So, maybe this is no different. It's hard though to do nothing and watch him get sucked into this thing. But maybe all I've said to him falls on deaf ears anyway. Perhaps it will have to take something negative to happen to him within his KH that will finally open his eyes.

• jgnat
    jgnat

BY THE SECOND STUDY, Lavendar, they warn converts that people, under the influence of Satan, will try and dissuade them.

It is so important to keep the lines of communication open, so if he has doubts about his new life he will feel free to share them. I'd be as friendly with the religion to ask to go along to the convention wehn he gets baptised. I promise you nothing bad will happen, it will just be intenselyboring.

It might even help if he asks what you think of such an event to quietly mention how boring it was.

• wildfire
    wildfire

LAVENDAR.....My hopes are with you too,,,I have a situation with my two daughters..the younger one stays in the truth and gets married at 20...the other daughter has a wordly boyfriend and parties it up for two years until they break up and he gets married to some one else...so she decides the only way to be happy like her sister is to get back with the jws and find a man....(yikes ,,) so against all my wisdom she forges ahead and gets baptised so now she is in the running..she studies with this go--getter pioneer, and of course is encouraged to make that her goal.. The crazy part is that all the while all the jws are telling her to move out of my place cus of the evil that lurks within...namely me the df sinner... FASTFORWARD...IN THE MEANTIME THIS PIONEER SISTER IS SEPARATED FROM HER NON-JW HUSBAND,,AND SHE FALLS FROM PIONEER STATUS......AT THE ADVICE OF THE WITCHES CLAN ,, SHE MOVES IN WITH HER...THIS ESTROGEN FEMALE ONLY HOUSE IS BRIMMING WITH SECRETS......SO my daughter does what they have been wanting her to do....namely relying on jehovah and pioneering........ NOW THEY ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF MY DAUGHTER SO THEY CAN DRINK AND PARTY IN SECRET...AND MY DAUGHTER KNOWS ALLOF THIS......AND SHE IS BEING KICKED OUT.....HOW FREAKING LOVING ...THOSE BITCHES..SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO SEE THEM FOR WHAT THEY REALLY ARE....AND LAVENDAR..THIS MAY BE YOUR SONS FATE...WAIT,,HOPE,,,PRAY...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit