YOUR DAILY JOURNAL

by compound complex 1320 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Reconnecting with family can be a good thing. I did so today and feel both relieved and satisfied. It appears that familial love can transcend philosophic and religious differences.

I'm continually amazed at how much I learn when listening to others ...

CC

• compound complex
    compound complex

Out in service, they knew who I was. They must have wondered about the designer-stubble- gone-bush.

Are male true-believers deliberately hirsute?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yesterday was truly a beautiful day. The sky was true blue and a faint tracery of pure-white clouds decorated the expanse, however briefly. At night I gazed at a black sky dotted with pinpoints of light that were suspended in the delicate haze of the Milky Way.

I could barely pull myself away; I was a man under a spell ...

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Yesterday I went to my nephew's birthday party. It was a combined bd for him and his uncle (my sister in law's brother). The theme was Super Hero's. I was Wonder Woman lol. This was the very first time I've ever dressed up in a costume, and I did fell a bit silly, but it was fun. We even made a trip to the Beer Store, my brother, the other bd boy and one of the other girls there. You should have seen the looks we got! lol Everyone came out of the back for a look and the customers were trying to hide their laughter hee hee. The one woman said "I just gotta ask" and I said we had lost a bet lol. Then we told them about the bd party. We got the whole thing on video as well!!

BB

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good hearing from you again, Mrs. Bee!

Sounds like you and yours were a hit.

Thanks for sharing.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear and Gentle Readers,

What do you know of Nathaniel Hawthorne and Emily Dickinson?

We have recently crossed paths and I am intrigued - and mystified.

Please share ...

Thank you,

CoCo

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Sitting here waiting for my son, daughter in law and granddaughter to get here. Just talked to him a few minutes ago...they are about 3 1/2 hours away....just about to get on 95 in NY...headed north...

Coffee

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Coffee,

You must be on pins and needles! How exciting - please let us know how the visit goes.

Thanks,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

The Homestead was the birthplace of Emily Dickinson and is where she spent much of her childhood and almost all her adult life. Just next door, The Evergreens was built by her father, Edward, as a wedding present for his son Austin and Austin's new wife, Susan. Susan was Emily's closest friend; she, Austin and their three children, Ned, Mattie and Gilbert,lived in the Evergreens during Emily's lifetime and throughout their own. In the small world made up of these two houses Dickinson wrote nearly 1,800 poems and a meaningful collection of letters. While few of her poems were published in her lifetime, her legacy of rich writing makes her one of America's best loved poets.

The Emily Dickinson Museum is dedicated to educating diverse audiences about Emily Dickinson’s life, family, creative work, times, and enduring relevance, and to preserving and interpreting the Homestead and The Evergreens as historical resources for the benefit of scholars and the general public. Not only do visitors learn about Emily, they also learn about the lives of upper middle-class Americans during the 19th century and into the 20th. Emily's niece, Martha [known as Mattie to her family and friends], also became a writer of some notoriety and eventually made her mark as the editor and protector of her aunt's work. Martha was the last survivor of her family and as such, she owned both the Homestead and the Evergreens.

Financial difficulties led her to sell the Homestead but the Evergreens was her primary residence until her death in 1943. The Homestead became a faculty residence for Amherst College faculty by the 1960s while the Evergreens was owned by Martha's heirs: Alfred Leete Hampson, who died in 1952, and his wife Mary, who died in 1988. Alfred and Mary carefully preserved the contents of the Evergreens, which are little changed from the 1880s. Through an arduous but worthwhile process, the administration of the two houses is now under a single office and the houses function as one museum. The Homestead is a premier destination for anyone inspired by Emily Dickinson's work and the Evergreens is an amazing surprise, a treasure-trove that gives anyone a unique insight into a world few people alive have ever seen.

Not in Vain

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
    I shall not live in vain:
    If I can ease one life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin unto his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.

• Quentin
    Quentin

This has been one of the most boring 4th of July's I have ever spent. Have laid around like a big lizard on a rock doing nothing constructive for the last three days. Terry gave me "Blood Meridian" to read. Like a slug crossing a sidewalk I have managed to read three chapters. It's a fine book, McCarthy is an excellent word smith. If nothing else, over the last three days, I should have finished the book.

Monday comes in the morning, how odd that three days of what should have been rejuvination will turn into five mundane days of being a mule....There's a lesson in this that escapes me. Cheers to all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit