Why do people choose to d'assoc by letter instead of just fading?

by journey-on 33 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on
    wishing we would just make whatever decision we have 'official' so that there doesn't have to be this strange feeling hanging over our relationship.

Don't want to make them uncomfortable, uh? Black and white....that's what they want. Gray areas baffle the heck out of them. Better to slap a nice simple label on you to keep from confusing the issue.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have a wife and a mother who are JW. I don't want to find out if my mother would shun me.
    So I fade.

Let my mother come out of the Borg, I won't waste time with careful fading, anymore.

By that time, if the fade is successful, I might just never go back, but I would love to DA for
    the finality it gives.

• dobbie
    dobbie

I had been trying to fade but they wouldn't leave me alone, it got so bad i would'nt answer the door or phone and i constantly felt sick, i realised i'd had enough of it all, researched on cmputer and was v shocked at all the things like 1975 and flip flops etc, verified alot of stuff by looking it up in WT mags. I knew i wanted my boys to have a normal upbringing like i did and did'nt want to celebrate stuff without officially leaving it didn't feel right.After my f in l elder came round and started intimidating me, then another kept trying to meet us i just wanted them all to bog off- i knew nothing i'd say would be listened to or understood. I just didn't want them telling me anymore that my boys were going to die. My hubbys trying to fade but i'm sure they'll catch up with him eventually!And i can answer the door again now!

• Francophile
    Francophile

I wanted to leave by choice, rather than by default, and proclaim my independence.

To make a clean break, I also wanted to prevent future harassing shepherding calls by elders and accidental run-ins with "concerned friends".

I actually preferred the shunning; I felt I was shunning them, actually. It was fabulous and made things so simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit