More Anthrax THREAT- nearby town AGAIN!!!

by MrMoe 28 Replies latest jw friends

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Nearby sister town hit again - my local AGAIN!!!!!!

http://www.news-press.com/news/today/011009anthraxscare.html

Collier buildings evacuated; closed for day
    White powdery substance found on mail in 3 buildings

Collier County and FBI officials are investigating three threats of suspicious packages or packages containing a white powdery substance Tuesday. None of the incidents were believed life-threatening.

"Until you get everything sorted out, you have to over-react," said Dr. Robert Tober, head of Collier EMS.

In the first incident, a white powdery substance was found in the mail bin at the Fifth Third Bank, 4099 Tamiami Trail North, Naples, Tuesday morning. The substance was found by two employees who alerted bank security, who then called police at 9:50 a.m.

About 25 employees in the first floor bank were stripped in the adjacent parking lot and hosed down by emergency medical crews. The employees were being treated at the scene and were not expected to be taken to area hospitals unless they exhibited signs of illness. The building was expected to remain closed throughout the day.

About a half-mile south, at 9:55 a.m. — while officials were still investigating the first incident — more mail containing a white powdery substance was delivered to the law office of Cummings & Lockwood, 3001 Tamiami Trail North, Naples, on the third and fourth floors of the Collier Place II Building.

The second floor of the building includes a local FBI office.

Collier Place and a bank next door, First National Bank, were evacuated. About 26 people were being hosed down. The first two floors of the building were determined to be unaffected.

The bank was closed because the entire area had to be roped off.

The packages at the Fifth Third Bank and the law offices were delivered by the same courier service, fire officials said.

A third threat was reported at Platinum Properties, 790 Harbour Drive — across the street from Collier Place. There, members of the business received a package postmarked from California. They got nervous because they weren't expecting anything from California or knew of anyone from California.

For updates on this breaking news story, check back later at this Web site or pick up Wednesday's edition of The News-Press.

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

MR Moe,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this kind of anxiety!
    WE all deal with it but it's always worse when it's close to home.

Even if any or all of these turn out to be false alarms it doesn't take away the fear that is real no matter what.

Ranchette

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

i say we just nuclear bomb florida...90 % of
    the people living there are near death anyway.
    i see know benefit to keep florida other than
    South beach....

my ny attitude is slowly coming back

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I think it's a bunch of nuts, but this is getting silly. Is my office complex next? UGH!!!

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

AND YET -- more WIERD STUFF!! Where I live is surrounded by clustered towns, including Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, Lehigh Acres, Punta Gorda, and Port Charlotte. The are literally side by side in the southwest Florida area. One of the terrorists that died in the WTC crash was from Punta Gorda and one of the flight attendants was from Fort Myers. I found another wierd story. I think I need to turn of the radio!!!!!

http://www.news-press.com/news/today/011009lehigh.html

Mystery bag brings quarantine
    Lehigh resident makes discovery in automobile

By ANDI ATWATER, [email protected]

LEHIGH ACRES — About a dozen people were quarantined late Monday after a homeowner found a mysterious knapsack with a skull and crossbones embroidered on it in his car.

The man, whose identity was not verified late Monday, lives at 3801 4th St. S.W., near Lee Boulevard and Bruce Avenue.

Lehigh Acres fire Assistant Chief Henry MacArty said the man’s car had been sitting unlocked in his driveway all day.

The homeowner found the black package in the front seat of his car around 8:30 p.m., placed it on his front porch and called the sheriff’s office, authorities said.

Because of the bag’s position, authorities could only make out the word “forensics” on it.

“We’re going to treat it as though it was the real thing until we’re sure it’s not,” MacArty said. “What’s strange about it is where it was found.”

Because the man touched it, he and anyone else who came in contact with him was considered contaminated until hazardous materials teams could identify the contents.

By 10:30 p.m., 11 people, including neighbors, deputies, fire fighters and the man’s family, were quarantined.

MacArty said the domino effect began after the man’s 5-year-old son also touched the bag and then hugged his mother. Neighbors and rescue officials who were near the bag or came in contact with the family also were quarantined.

By 11 p.m., bomb experts were setting up to send in a robot to X-ray the bag to make sure it didn’t contain explosives.

If explosives were ruled out, MacArty said a hazmat team would then examine the contents to see if there was a biochemical threat.

If that became the case — and officials estimated they would be at the scene until 4 or 5 a.m. today — anyone quarantined would have to be decontaminated in a series of three tents.

Authorities said the homeowner has no police record nor were there any neighborhood disputes.

The homeowner had never seen the bag before, MacArty said.

Fire officials, along with at least 10 different rescue agencies, cordoned off a three-block area.

Because of heightened security measures across the nation following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, every possible threat is being taken seriously, MacArty said.

“There’s no way in the world we would be going through all this (prior to the attacks),” MacArty said. “Let’s just hope it’s an attention seeker and then will give him some hard attention back.”

• Hojon
    Hojon

MrMoe-

While I feel bad that this stuff is happening around you and to people you know, you need to chill on your descriptions. It wasn't Anthrax that they found, and it sounds like it was probably a hoax from what I can tell in this article.

Your subject line is pretty misleading and all you are doing is contributing to exactly what terrorists want- panic.

Again, I can totally understand how you feel, I'd be freaking out too if this was happening locally. But by making the title "More Anthrax" it's kind of misleading and sensationalistic.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Well - Craig - the reason I posted it as Anthrax is because that is what a local radio station announced - and eye-witness reports via radio called it Anthrax. I never said it WAS Anthrax - it is an ANTHRAX threat. I said it may be a hoax - but none-the-less, the white powdery substance has been publiced here as Anthrax.

Also, note most info in the press is inaccurate - as the report of yesterday's happenings in Fort Myers was posted by the press to have happened by 1 person - now they are saying it was 3 but the note did not say for sure if it was a virus. THIS IS NOT TRUE! My boss was there and in fact knows exactally what happened. He said in the beining it was 3 persons, but the local news said it was 1. Now the press says it was 3 but the press is not clear on thier facts AT ALL!

• bboyneko
    bboyneko
    About 25 employees in the first floor bank were stripped in the adjacent parking lot and hosed down by emergency medical crews

wow, were they hot? I wanna see pics

• julien
    julien

Even weirder, my there was a white powdery substance all over my donuts this morning!

• bboyneko
    bboyneko
    and eye-witness reports via radio called it Anthrax.

Im sure eye witnesses can clearly tell that the microscopic spores floating around are anthrax and not say, mildew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit