You Too Can Work For Nothing

by Clam 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I find it disturbing that Leonardo had to fashion his own tools so he could participate — you'd think the brothers would help him with obtaining some proper prostheses like the churches of Christendom do. Instead we are treated to a view of crude metal cuffs chafing into his stumps as he gleefully pushes awheelbarrow. How long could an able-bodied person last under those conditions?

Boy, that paints a whole different picture, doesn't it?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I don't know what the problem is Clam.

I use to cross crocodile infested waters to get to the meetings.......travel barefooted 20 miles on briar covered dusty roads....... climbed mountains and forged streams.........wrestled w/the beasts of the fields.....

I was once stripped to the bone by piranhas while wading through a river to get to a service meeting, but you try telling the youngsters of today that, and they won't believe you.

We must have all lived in the same neighborhood!! And don't forget, in the snow and ice,,,,,,with no shoes!!

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Hi journey-on,

Most here no longer receive the magazines so I gave a description. It may have been too graphic for some. I apologize if my comments offended anyone. It's not a pleasant picture at all, was my point.

Flip the page and there's another story about a little girl, Adryana, who is paralyzed in both legs and gave up a trip to a "world-renowned amusement park" so she could go to Bethel instead. Again, if even handicapped little kids can make sacrifices, how much more can you?

It's shaming like this that had my mother collapse in field service due to advanced heart disease. She should never have been out peddling mags in the August heat in her condition. But she reads this stuff and feels guilty and selfish for not doing more.

The WT is capitalizing on the disabled in an issue entitled, "Will Cruelty Ever End?". Apparently, not soon enough.

~Sue

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

I remenber workin on the JW 2 days K halls. Talk about a one way street! All take and no give. And in the end the creed of greed gets to own everything!

• juni
    juni

Hey Clam!

Yeah. Kids these days have it so good! It's like our parents had to walk 20 miles in a blizzard to school and up hill both ways! lol

Juni

Hey Shelley! Yeah.......barefoot in snow and ice w/no jacket! Just a backpack w/your underlined WT and a few essentials...... lol

• Cardinal Fang
    Cardinal Fang

And when we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with an 'Aid Book'... ;-p

• Liza
    Liza

One of the things that compelled me when I believed in "The Truth" was the lengths people go to serve the WTS. The new DVD has footage of people in Africa walking for days and even swimming trying to reach the Assembly or convention hall. In the Assembly Hall there were old women on crutches who were still preaching.

Ugh now I think it's sickening, and an exploitation on people's need to devote themselves to some form of spiritual connection. It's just like those people walking on their knees to pilgramiges to a site were somone saw water leak out of a statue of Mary.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I currently know of JW's that are planning to move to Africa and others moving to Caribbean Island countries.

They are not missionaries, in the sense that they have no formal training. They are doing the same as
    missionaries- moving to convert the masses. They will go for as long as they can, then perhaps return and
    start a normal life in the USA with their wonderful experiences to remember.

Each case- couples. In one case, it's the husband's idea. In the others, the husband is a willing participant
    in the wife's dream. Many of these folks are earning decent salaries and will recover from this, but are giving
    up financial security which would go toward retirement. I think they expect Armageddon right around the next
    corner, and want Jehovah to see how "giving" they are. Sickening- Totally sickening.

• sir82
    sir82
    I remenber workin on the JW 2 days K halls. Talk about a one way street! All take and no give.

You must be kidding!

Weren't you "given" 16 varieties of potato salad & 14 styles of fried chicken at lunchtime? Not to mention all the Entenmann's cookies you could eat?

Ingrate!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Let's not forget the person who pioneered while in an iron lung. Or the person that pioneered while afflicted with severe depression and a serious neurological disability. People go to the meetings and pioneer while afflicted with Marfan's syndrome (which weakens the whole body so they could get an aneurysm or extreme physical mobility problems without much trouble), muscular dystrophy, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, the aftermath of a stroke that leaves them paralyzed from the neck down, after an automobile accident that leaves them totally disabled, in war-torn countries, and often at the risk of their own lives. None ever get paid for it, either.

Hey, if the brother can pioneer with severe disabilities, then why can't you with wimpy problems like migraines, too many bills, blizzards, car problems, and recent foot surgery do it? All to get everyone without major problems out there in the misery more. What they don't tell you is that the person with minor, or no, problems shouldn't go out in the misery if it's going to cost them more than they are actually going to gain from it. And, when all the illusions are busted, there is absolutely nothing to gain by going out in service. Yet it costs the person time and money (to run the car, suit dry-cleaning, and those ever-infernal donations) to go to meetings, out in service, and those Kingdumb Hell quick builds. That's why you should not do any of those: not because of some rule. The cost exceeds the actual beneift, and that's enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit