Reasons its a cult...

by Matt_fs 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

• oops, double post
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Since they want to argue that they are not a cult, and since definitions vary,
    I would start not with "It's a cult" but rather "It's a mind-control cult."

A cult uses deceptive recruitment techniques (withholding info about DF'ing and
    having to be totally loyalty to the Governing Body, false predictions of Armageddon)
    and uses coercive retainment methods. (Family shunning, fear of God's disapproval
    and everlasting destruction.)

A mind-control cult controls most or all of the following aspects of the member's life:

Behaviour- Morals dictated to you on all avenues of life.
    Information- read our stuff constantly, don't read former members' stuff. We've done all the research you need.
    Thoughts- Avoid worldly or independent thinking, avoid higher education. Always think about thing theocratically.
    Emotions- Fear of rejection by cong., family, friends, God. Hate what we tell you to hate.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Nice way to encapsulate your ideas OTWO. Excellent, in fact.

Nvr

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There is a long article on this at http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/mindcontrol.htm

The word cult means different things to different people, so often it is best to avoid that term and instead discuss techniques of mind control. One of the first and best books on this was by Lifton, and he has 8 identifiers of a cult. The Watchtower Society fits all eight points.

1. Environment Control. Limitation of many/all forms of communication with those outside the group. Books, magazines, letters and visits with friends and family are taboo. "Come out and be separate!"

> “False religious propaganda from any source should be avoided like poison! Really, since our Lord has used “the faithful and discreet slave” to convey to us “sayings of everlasting life,” why should we ever want to look anywhere else?” Watchtower 1987 November 1 p.20

2. Mystical Manipulation. The potential convert to the group becomes convinced of the higher purpose and special calling of the group through a profound encounter / experience, for example, through an alleged miracle or prophetic word of those in the group.

> Russell – “Then I knew why the Lord had led me to it so slowly and cautiously. I needed a special preparation of heart for the full appreciation of all it contained, and I was all the more assured that it was not of my own wisdom; for if of my own why would it not have come at once?” Zion’s Watch Tower 1906 July 15 p.234

> Rutherford - “Enlightenment proceeds from Jehovah... and is given to the faithful anointed.... the remnant are instructed by the angels of the Lord. The remnant do not hear audible sounds, because such is not necessary. Jehovah has provided his own good way to convey thoughts to the minds of his anointed ones.” Preparation p.64

> Governing Body - “…Christ used his authority by actively leading his congregation on earth. He did this by means of the holy spirit, the angels, and the governing body made up of the 12 apostles and the elders of the Jerusalem congregation.” Watchtower 1987 August 1 p.15

3. Demand for Purity. An explicit goal of the group is to bring about some kind of change, whether it be on a global, social, or personal level. "Perfection is possible if one stays with the group and is committed."

> “The resulting peaceableness of Jehovah’s people makes them a refreshing oasis in a violent world. ” Watchtower 2002 July 1 p.17

4. Cult of Confession. The unhealthy practice of self disclosure to members in the group. Often in the context of a public gathering in the group, admitting past sins and imperfections, even doubts about the group and critical thoughts about the integrity of the leaders.

> “So, if doubts, complaints, or apostasy threaten to contaminate you spiritually, cut them away quickly! (Compare Matthew 5:29, 30.) Get help from the congregation elders.” Watchtower 1989 October 1 p.18

> “It is certainly not easy to confess to others deeds that one feels ashamed of and to seek forgiveness. It takes inner strength.” Watchtower 2001 June 1 p.31

> “If he does not do this within a reasonable period of time, concern for the cleanness of the congregation should move you to report the matter to the elders” Watchtower 1989 October 15 pp.14-15

5. Sacred Science. The group's perspective is absolutely true and completely adequate to explain EVERYTHING. The doctrine is not subject to amendments or question. ABSOLUTE conformity to the doctrine is required.

> “First, since “oneness” is to be observed, a mature Christian must be in unity and full harmony with fellow believers as far as faith and knowledge are concerned. He does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbor private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding.” Watchtower 2001 August 1 p.14

6. Loaded Language. A new vocabulary emerges within the context of the group. Group members "think" within the very abstract and narrow parameters of the group's doctrine. The terminology sufficiently stops members from thinking critically by reinforcing a "black and white" mentality. Loaded terms and clichés prejudice thinking.

> ‘the truth’, ‘new system’, ‘worldly people’, ‘disfellowship’ ‘Jehovah’s Organization’, ‘RV’s’, ‘door to door’ and ‘theocratic’

7. Doctrine over Person. Pre-group experience and group experience are narrowly and decisively interpreted through the absolute doctrine, even when experience contradicts the doctrine.

> “The world is filled with unhappiness, and people generally have a gloomy outlook on the future. However, we have a bright outlook, knowing that one day all sadness will be a thing of the past.” Kingdom Ministry Feb 2002 p.1

8. Dispensing of Existence. Salvation is possible only in the group. Those who leave the group are doomed.

> “To turn away from Jehovah and his organization, to spurn the direction of “the faithful and discreet slave,” and to rely simply on personal Bible reading and interpretation is to become like a solitary tree in a parched land. ” Watchtower 1985 June 1 p.20

> “I suffered much pain and heartache without Jehovah’s guidance,” says one young woman who for a time left God’s organization. “I tried to fit in with the world, but because I was not truly like others, they rejected me. I felt like a lost child who needed a father to guide me. That is when I realized that I needed Jehovah. I never wanted to live independent of him again.” Watchtower 1998 October 1 pp.10-11

> “With apostates earth wide being destroyed, what reason can one have for confidence of life in paradise to follow?” Kingdom Ministry September 1973 p.6

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for those insightful points jwfacts. I particularly enjoy #8- join or die!

Nvr

• greendawn
    greendawn

When they are perfectly willing to see little children die by denying them blood, given willingly and without any harm to the donor, according to some twisted dogma then they can only be a cult.

When they destroy families, the bonds between husband and wife, parents and children, siblings and all kinds of close relatives they have it written upon their forehead that they are a cult.

When they say that God will exterminate children and people that haven't ever heard about the gospel by the millions, they are broadcasting to everyone their cultic nature.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi Matt,

Although many ex jws, and even some current ones, acknowledge the cult-like
    nature of the watchtower, getting the average jw to see his religion as a cult is
    not easy.

The truth is, no one actually joins a cult. People who join religious groups tend
    to do so because they feel they are helping themselves, and often these groups
    provide instant friends, instant family and instant purpose in life, which many today
    are seeking. No one deliberately joins a group that has the potential to cause them
    harm, that's something they find out later on. Your jw friend didn't see becoming a
    jw as joining a cult, and it might be difficult for him to recognise the wtbts as a cult
    now, unless he is having doubts.

You just can't prove to jws that they are in a cult, whatever evidence you produce.
    They have to come to that realisation on their own, usually some time after they have
    quit the organisation.

dedpoet

• rescuer
    rescuer

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/132983/1.ashx

Dear Jgnat,

Please for God's sake, please ,tell me she is not undergoing all of this,and doesnt know it.I am getting dejected, depressed ,feel like crying and dont know If I must carry on or give up.Help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit