1995 The Year That Saw A Turning Point

by The wanderer 44 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

1995 The Year That Saw A Turning Point

During the 1980s, the thought that “this generation will not pass until all
    of these events occur” was the Watchtower’s theme. The countdown
    was on and the generation that saw, the events of 1914 would not pass.

It Happened In 1995

Then in 1995, two strange events occurred. First, smack-dab
    on the cover of the Watchtower, there was the United Nations
    building. “What in the world” I said as I turned to my best friend
    is the Society doing?”

“I don’t know was his reply.” “Maybe, the Society is seeing how the
    Bible events are tying into the U.N.?” I was appeased but not fully
    satisfied with this answer.

Then the generation change, which brought us “new light” on Bible
    prophecy, which more or less told us what we previously believed
    as the “truth” about the end was now changing forever.

Was there a year or events of a year that saw your turning point?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• done4good
    done4good

Wanderer,

I don't know if I have a turning "point" per se, more like several 30 degree turns that ended up in a 180 in 2005. The first of which was learning of the 1975 debacle. My family had been "in" since '78 and I never heard a damn thing about this until around 1991 or so. It was quite shocking to me, actually. The 1995 generation change bothered me somewhat, but more just because the new explanation was, well, unexplainable. I felt the same way about the blood policy changes in 2000. I nearly left in '01, but didn't have the balls to until '05.

Jason

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Yup and lucky that the WWW was just starting to take off about that time too. It could be discussed on the web and BBSs in anonimity and security.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

1995 was at least a pausing point for me. A point where my outlook changed. Sure, I stayed active 11 more years,
    but late 1995 is where I started going OnTheWayOut.

I was a freshly appointed elder in 1995, all assimilated into the dub ways. The "this generation" article came out, and
    I didn't read the study articles ahead of time, just studied them before the meeting came up. When I studied that
    change, I thought it should be screamed out that this was a mistake. I was told that JW's were sure that "this generation"
    was those alive in 1914 (whether just born or old enough to remember, well whatever) and the end must come before
    they all died.

Well, I asked around. It was no big deal to people. It was covered in the magazine like any other paragraphs, then they
    simply moved on.

Even though I dropped it, and promised to be a loyal company man (and I did until 2006), I decided to plan for my
    future since 1995. I got a good job with retirement plan. I missed some meetings for overtime, that continued to get worse.
    I started taking vacations when I got some money. I donated less at the Hall, so there was more for the wife and I.
    Life continued to get better since 1995. I put my wife through college. We bought a house (much later, but very non-dubby if
    the end were truly "right around the corner."). 1995 was a banner year. If only my wife knew it was.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Rich,

When that fateful article came out in 1995 I was not surprised. In fact, I expected it even though it made me angry. I knew they were running out of time with their 1914 generation teaching so something had to give. I was particularly appalled at how they "just slipped it into a study article" instead of some special heading alerting everybody of the change. Were they hoping nobody would notice?

At first, people were numb and tried to rationalize. Some said: "well, this just means it can come at any time". Over time though the grim reality sank in. The reaction was a delayed one. The result you see now, twelve years later, are halls that are half empty.

LHG

• Nowman
    Nowman

I never even heard of the 1995 thing until I came to this board, but theres a reason why. I left in 92. My parents were still very strong in 1995. Anyway, after my mom was DF'd, and I came to this forum in early 2006, I asked her about it. I asked her, "what did dad and you think", her answer was nothing, she said she would never question my dad or the organization, I am so curious to know what my dad was thinking but have not spoke or seen him since 92.

Nikki

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yes, Wanderer, 1995 did it for me as well, especially coming on top of the disappearance of the King of the North and learning that the seperating work hadn't even started yet!

After the Generation change, which I caught immediately and saw its importance, I never went out in service again and just speeded up my fade away. I have maintained for several years now that it was actually a major turning point in the history of the WTS. Combining that change with the growth of Internet access during that time and you had a deadly combination for the WTS.

S4

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Combining that change with the growth of Internet access during that time and you had a deadly combination for the WTS.

It did seem that way until recently. But they seem to be starting to make a come back.

Slim

• Zico
    Zico
    It did seem that way until recently. But they seem to be starting to make a come back.

Indeed. We'll have lots of surprised and disappointed apostates when the figures come out next year.

I think most JWs have forgot about the 1995 change. Either that, or they're in denial as they never talk about it. I first learned of it on this board, and when I told JW associates around my age, they were all very surprised to learn about it.

• daystar
    daystar

In 1995 I had been out for four years. I didn't hear about this change from any family members that were still in. I didn't find out about it until probably... 2000 or so when I found out about it online.

Oh, I just laughed and laughed and laughed!! I could not believe it. “This generation will not pass until all of these events occur” had been heavily emphasized again and again and again. Up until that point, I think I had never really confronted the WBTS' BS within my own mind. I didn't believe it anymore, that was certain. But this was sort of an "AHA!" moment for me. They really were led by a bunch of crackpots, just making things up as they go along, trying to keep things together.

Wacknoids, all of them!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit