This is the man who made it all happen!

by Terry 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

There is plenty from 1919 onward that is just as wacky.

Of course, JWs are conditioned to only care about what they NOW are taught, and they transfer that belief in thier mind to a legendary organizational timeline retroactively.

• Terry
    Terry

a letter written by Mr. Miller, after the disappointment of 1844, to those who had been disappointed with him, as follows:

“We thank God always on your behalf, when we hear, as we already have, that your and our late disappointment has produced in you, and we hope in us also, a deep humiliation, and a careful inspection of our hearts. And though we are humbled, and in a measure pained, by the jeers of a wicked and perverse generation, we are not terrified nor cast down. You can, all of you, when inquired of for the reasons of your hope, open your Bibles, and with meekness and fear show the inquirer why you hope in the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior, Jesus Christ. You need not in a single instance refer the inquirer to your minister, for the reason of your faith. Your creed is the Scriptures;... your philosophy is the wisdom which cometh down from God; your bond of union is the love and fellowship of the saints; your teacher is the Holy Spirit; and your professor is the Lord Jesus Christ....We exhort you, by all the love and fellowship of the saints, to hold fast to this hope. It is warranted by every promise in the Word of God. It is secured to you by the two immutable things—the council and oath of God, in which it is impossible for him to lie. It is ratified and sealed by the death, blood, and resurrection, and life of Jesus Christ....Never fear, brethren; God has told you what to say. Do as he bids you, and he will take care of the consequences. God says, ‘Say unto them, The days are at hand, and the effect of every vision.’ [See Ezek. 12:22,23]...It is to me almost a demonstration that God’s hand is in this thing. Many thousands have been made to study the Scriptures by the preaching of the time....God’s wisdom has in a great measure marked out our path, which he has devised for such good as he will accomplish in his own time and manner.”

- Published in: SCRIPTURE STUDIES, VOLUME THREE - THY KINGDOM COME

What is he actually saying?

Miller refers to those who called attention to the NON-PERFORMANCE of the predicted date (who, it must be admitted, were CORRECT!)

as "wicked and perverse".

If these people were merely rational and not carried away by false teachings---why would they automatically be "wicked or perverse"?

Isn't it because THEY were right and MILLER was wrong?

• garyneal
    garyneal

marked

• Terry
    Terry

Steping way back...waaaay back and looking at how many human beings are on board with the world's end NO MATTER WHAT---I find

it completely and utterly sad.

Yes, it is sad.

Is there so little happiness in life that some of us long for the death of billions to hurry along our own pathetic quest for easy street?

Sigh.

• Watkins
    Watkins

The wt's failing to be honest about their history is a major red flag. This is a religion which delves deeply into other religions' pasts to uncover deceit and wrong teachings - but they don't allow honest research of their own record! Of course we know why they don't - wt history is littered with falsehoods, threats and fear. So they became revisionists with their old light/new light, past/present teachings. How can jws not see it, or not think it matters? It matters a LOT when they're digging around into 'pagan connections' and such. I guess cognitive dissonance is more crippling for some than others... or more entrenched? Terry, for my part, I NEVER believed God would destroy everyone other than jws. Maybe that's why my exit was smoother and less traumatic than for some others. Miller, compared to Russell, might seem more apologetic, more humble. But they both went to their deaths wholly believing their respective chronology was only off by days or months. They were prophets in their own minds, apparently. It just taught me not to follow any man - or woman - who makes amazing claims without amazing proof... Even with super-amazing proof, I would remain skeptical. This post looks entirely different than yesterday - there are no smilies, for one thing. And no paragraphs (?) watkins

• Londo111
    Londo111

The death of seven billion people was bad enough--but seven billion with no hope of resurrection—it was the #1 issue I struggled with as a JW.

• eyefell4it2
    eyefell4it2
    bumped....great read especially for newbies.
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Gee that's interesting. I never knew that.
  • TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I think JW newbies would be shocked to see how very little of what Pastor Russell taught had been--cough cough--channeled to Russell without passing through the crazies first!

1914 is all modern Witnesses ever hear. I'm sure they think it all quite spontaneous and miraculous. All it takes is a very modest amount of research (reading an encyclopedia) to see quite the contrary!

And yes--this IS why the Watchtower strongly discourages 'independent research.'

• paulmolark
    paulmolark
    They don't even care about Russell anymore LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit