Percentage of JW's that are undercover?

by flipper 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I learned from this forum that there are a lot of folks who not only don't believe, but also see the org. for what it is, but don't leave because it would mean the loss of their families. but, back in the day when I was in the org., I knew people who didn't believe, but also just didn't care. No big deal, easier to go to the meetings, look the part, take it easy, but keep their families. But they tended to be popular, easy-going people and everyone else cut them a lot of slack.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I'm not so sure the percentage is quite as high as 75%. If you asked how many had doubts, that might be about right. I think the organization provides what a lot of people need, a social club and hope of something better- soon and magically.

There are those that go exclusively to keep from losing their family- a lot more than I realized before I came to this board and other sites. It would be hard to put a number to it though.

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

Around where I live, a far larger majority truly believe everythin they're taught.

The only people I can see as possibly being doubters are my age. And thats about 5%-10% of our congregation.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I think 75% is way too high. In my little mind and from various conversations with folks over the years, I break it down this way:

10% - Serious doubts or completely don't believe any more and are only keeping up appearances for family (I'm in this group)

40% - Don't believe every word is gospel but generally believe the organization is being used by Jehovah and he will sort things out in his due time.

30% - Haven't a clue what they believe, but have been "in the truth" for so long or were raised in that this is the only life they know. These folks couldn't engage in a doctrinal discussion because they really don't know what the WT teaches. They like being JWs but can't explain way and are there

20% - Believe every word as gospel.

• zensim
    zensim

Doubting Bro - that's a really good break down. However I would suggest that it looks more like 10%, 65%, 15% and 10%. There are a huge number who don't believe or agree with everything but go along with most of it (and openly or covertly bend the rules to their liking, all in subconscious justification) because they believe in just one general rule "This is god's organisation".

I think 'undercover' is subjective. Are we talking about those who REALLY believe it is false and still attend (I agree that I would find that impossible to do, I did find that impossible to do) or about the larger group who, if they really were brave enough to examine their doubts, would find that they don't really believe - but have convinced themselves they do believe?

• chelleadam
    chelleadam

All I know is that when I was growing up, none of my friends actually believed. NOT ONE. I was a JW for 19 years, so if you figure that nearly all the young adults don't believe, and a lot of the older adults have serious doubts at the very least. Well, I guess I think the # would be quite high. The only people I ever knew that I believe were 100% sincere were my mother and her parents, and a couple of the elders that were friends of the family. That's why I say 75-80%.

Michelle

• moshe
    moshe

I would say that 50% of the under 30 crowd are just going through the motions. This is similar to the twice a year Christians that pastors complain only show up at church for Xmas and Easter. The Dubs like having some weak ones around , it's like a set of bookends for them. Bro and Sister zealous at one end and the slackers at the other. They feel they will be safe at Armageddon as long as they can see themselves in the middle group. If they take away all the slackers, then the middle has now become the bottom group.- a scary prospect! The secret to surviving at the KH as a slacker is to be a well liked (schmoozing helps) person, keep your mouth shut and smile.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I think 75% is way too high. In my little mind and from various conversations with folks over the years, I break it down this way:

10% - Serious doubts or completely don't believe any more and are only keeping up appearances for family (I'm in this group)

40% - Don't believe every word is gospel but generally believe the organization is being used by Jehovah and he will sort things out in his due time.

30% - Haven't a clue what they believe, but have been "in the truth" for so long or were raised in that this is the only life they know. These folks couldn't engage in a doctrinal discussion because they really don't know what the WT teaches. They like being JWs but can't explain way and are there

20% - Believe every word as gospel.

I totally agree with Doubting Bro. You have to define terms because there are some gray areas. I think your definitions are right on the mark.

Of course, each one of your categories could be broken down further to reveal some interesting nuances.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

You know, I reckon that for about the last ten years of my being a witness I didn't hear a lot at the meetings, esp. comments; I was in a little bored daydream world. I'm only saying that because that would be a good indicator of the feel of the congregations I was in; eg the ratio of well-researched, new-information type of comments at the watchtower to the read-from-the-para kind of comment. But for real, I just can't honestly hazard a guess. That ability to shut my hearing down is really costing me these days, I'm such a daydreamer now!

I was surrounded by a mix of 'close friends' who were the more devoted type, who were ultrasensitive to the doubts I talked about, and who were able to cut me out of their lives without so much as a farewell email, so I'd say that they're either believers or in denial about how little of it they really believe. I can't put a number on it.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I would say that 50% of the under 30 crowd are just going through the motions

I agree moshe. I also liked DoubtingBro's breakdown.

I think 'undercover' is subjective. Are we talking about those who REALLY believe it is false and still attend (I agree that I would find that impossible to do, I did find that impossible to do) or about the larger group who, if they really were brave enough to examine their doubts, would find that they don't really believe - but have convinced themselves they do believe?

So true zenism! Great thoughts by all.

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit