Percentage of JW's that are undercover?

by flipper 28 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

what do you think? It seems like a lot are there so they won't lose family and friends - are in good standing but don't actually believe.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I firmly believe that the group of which you speak is rather large flipper.

• chelleadam
    chelleadam

Huge percentage, I'd say. If you're looking for an actual number, I'd think around 75-80%.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

I think there are a lot of members that aren't in because they believe its real. I think my dad is that way. He came to visit me and he went out with me and my worldly boyfriend to Famous Daves (restaurant) and sat at the bar and had a couple of drinks with us. I am still in, although I don't go to the meetings regularly because I live about an hour away. But I just thought that it was interesting because my dad would've never done that if my mother were there. So I am starting to think that he's only in because of her, but he won't admit it out loud.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I know one for sure, and a few others who hang on the fringes for family, but rarely attend.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hypocracy, that's what makes the world go round. Oh and lying too.

• under_believer
    under_believer

"Huge percentage, I'd say. If you're looking for an actual number, I'd think around 75-80%."

Oh brother.

• Arthur
    Arthur

It's hard for me to understand how "undercover" people are able to do it. It must take an enormous amount of self-control to hide their disdain for the way that Scriptures are constantly twisted, taken out of context, and misapplied. It seems that it would also be difficult to hide one's contempt for the manipulative slogans and buzzwords that get thrown around: "avoid the seeds of doubt", "beware of a faul-finding attitude", "make the truth your own", etc, etc.

It became more and more difficult for me to hide my contempt for the manipulation, coercion, and mind-control that is employed. I knew that if I would have attempted to stay in the borg, that I would have wound up making a very controversial comment at the KH, or done something to get me "marked". I would not have been able to contain my anger.

I tip my hat to those who have the intestinal fortitude to stay in the organization. That is something that I could not do.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I tip my hat to those who have the intestinal fortitude to stay in the organization. That is something that I could not do.

We are very much in agreement this evening Arthur. Maybe I just can't resist the little dude in your avatar. LOL!

Nvr

• FourMs
    FourMs

I can admit to that behavior. I know for the last long while I was in it to please my parents. Even living far from them, I still felt like I had to put on a good christian face and update them with my “spiritual” news. That was the old me. Still haven’t updated them on my current status. I will tell when they ask.

If you really sit and analyze other people’s lives (ones who are close to you), often you’ll come to the conclusion that they are probably afraid to do anything else but stay in the org. The fear of what might happen to them has such a strong hold on them.

FourMs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit