Did Being In The Organization Produce Anything Good?

by The wanderer 25 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

It did for me. I wouldn't have joined to get it. But being that I was stuck in the religion through being born into it, I made the best of a bad situation.

tsof

• done4good
    done4good

Sure, I could get into the whole quitting smoking and drugs thing, like everyone else, but the fact still remains, that most people that develop those habits during their younger years, usually only do so because of family dysfunction. In my case, that was certainly true. The jws only added greatly to that dysfunction. In a healthy family environment, (i.e., like my wife's), none of the 5 children are smokers nor drug users, they are also not jws, and would have never been drawn to such an organization. Dysfunction breeds dysfunction. End of story.

j

• ninja
    ninja

I know how to hold a wireless mic on a stick next to someones mouth without hitting them.....I also know how to tie a tie......these acquired skills have been invaluable in everyday life as a cleaner

• Open mind
    Open mind

There are a few things good about it but I just about sprayed my monitor when I read this from OUTLAW:

It`s like looking for a kernnel of corn,in a bucket of sh*t.

BluesBrother hit the nail on the head for me:

Was it worth the cost? No,... there are other ways of developing as a person.

OK, I can't outdo OUTLAW but I'll try another analogy.

An abusive, functional alcoholic still brings home a paycheck. Is it worth it?

Each individual has to decide when enough is enough.

Open Mind

• M.J.
    M.J.

Natural human reactions displayed here. While you're mentally "in", you choose to see nothing wrong. This is because of the cognitive dissonance. You skew your thoughts into compliance with your actions and beliefs.

Now that some are out, the opposite often occurs--you can see nothing good, thus confirming your action of getting "out".

Truth is, there are benefits to any group: Examples: Scientology, Alcoholics Anonymous, "shock incarceration" prison programs, US Marines, The Landmark Forum, Unification Church, and so on.

Question is for any group, do the benefits outweigh the detriments?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just realized I didn't answer the OP.

OK. Here goes.

Realizing that money & things don't bring happiness. I'm grateful for that. (Really. Honest.)

Especially since I couldn't have learned it anywhere else.

Like.............say..............hmmmmm...........Matt 6:24

"The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is simple, your whole body will be bright."

When forced into a situation where I actually have to ring a bell out in service and someone else is with me, I'll read this scripture and ask the householder for their take on it.

People from all different backgrounds (who don't throw me off the porch first) will usually share their perspective since I'm not cramming litter-ature down their throats.

Open Mind

p.s. Doesn't happen very often. Wouldn't want general public thinking dubs are easy going and accepting of others.

Oops, Edited when I realized I misquoted Mt 6:24. I left out one "eye" on my first attempt. Wouldn't want to end up in the lake of fire over a typo. Tee hee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit