Did Being In The Organization Produce Anything Good?

by The wanderer 25 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Did Being In The Organization Produce Anything Good?

Everyone has his or her perspective and viewpoint about the Watchtower Society.
    True, most of us on this board know the history and story behind the Watchtower.
    However, is there anything that you learned from your Jehovah’s Witness past that
    you appreciate even today?

Not Looking For A Firefight

From my own perspective, being a Jehovah's Witness taught me to be
    a more disciplined and studious individual what about you?

• mouthy
    mouthy

1)I Have to thank it for making me quit smoking.
    2)Teaching me how to address crowds. ( which I do in my testimonies)
    3) And introducing me to God.. although they had a differant one to Scripture -it did make me aware of a Creator.. I just had to work for the one with the little g for 25 years before I found the one with the BIG G

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wanderer..Let me think..Constant JW family interferance..Broken family..Broken marrage..Actually..It`s like looking for a kernnel of corn,in a bucket of shit..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• DJK
    DJK

I did stay away from drugs because of it.

I also accepted part of their ideas about death. Minus the resurrection.

• figureitout
    figureitout

I think there is a ton of good things I got from the organization. Some, might be habits or traits I could have picked up at another "church" per se but nonetheless I got a lot of soft skills from there.. 1.) Public Speaking - I can speak to any audience, regardless of stature, size, or anything and deliver the message that needs to be delivered 2.) Ability to think on my feet. I am not pressured at all in the boardroom or interviews with questions 3.) Confidence.. I am sorry anyone who can go to a strangers door and talk about religion is going to have a certain degree of confidence and moxy. 4.) I know the bible better then 90% of the "Christian" population. I actually studied the bible and not just the pubs and I am better for it. 5.) I also learned a lot of carpentry skills that I use on my properties all the time.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Outlaw:

Come on, you mean to say that you spent years
    as a Jehovah's Witness and did not learn even
    one good thing?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Anything good??? HMMMM......

Tore apart my family....still feeling the effects from that.

Have trust and self-confidence issues........turned to drugs for that.

Was molested by my stepdaddy dearest.........still don't do good at relationships.

Kept from non-witness family......can't get alot of that back.

Can't have a "normal" relationship with my mom........

I could keep going......but HELL NO, nothing good came from them!!

• BR25
    BR25

It helped with my schooling, public speaking contests and so forth.

One more thing It helped me with was a sales jobs I had? Anybody else have a good job experience because of it? I believe it helped with my interviews as well.

• golf2
    golf2

I lived during some of the exciting years. Beginning in the late forties and fifties it was action filled. When I did street work as a kid I was called a communist. The organization battled against the C.C. They battled for the right to preach publicly in courts. As influential as the C.C was, the witnesses won their case to publicly preach. Not saluting the flag was interesting. This is but a few of other happenings that were exciting, hey folks, the times were much different. Witnesses of today can't equate to such experiences.

I've extracted the good out of such experiences and applied them to my personal life. I've done good for myself.

Golf

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wanderer..Always looking at the bright side.Your a good man.Gotta love ya!..LOL!!.....Actually..Theres nothing I learned there,that I couldn`t have learned somewhere else,better..Any education there is limited and marginal..In the end,it`s not worth the grief.."A few kernnels of corn in a bucket of sh*t"..LOL!!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit