Funny story about a funeral

by dawg 14 Replies latest social relationships

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I hate jw funerals. I wish I had the nerve like you did. I wanted to go up to the Elder (who dfed me) and who gave the talk and say......"you do know this is a funeral, and not the sunday meeting dont you?"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't get it with some of these spiritual men. I know how to ACT AS IF I am concerned about
    a person's well-being. I'm not saying that I am not concerned, but you know, sometimes you
    have to face that person who will either hang on your very words or HANG YOU on them.

What's wrong with "Hey Dawg, sorry for your loss." or even "How are you?" Is that so hard
    to start with? A funeral is definitely one of the worst places to put somebody to shame or on
    the spot. We are supposed to be kind to everyone, elders teach that.

The CO who didn't have time for me didn't know how to ACT like he cared. I know that the
    spiritual men should offer to listen until the person is finished explaining their problem, and
    even if you don't have much to offer, you offer to pray with them or say a kind word.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Good for you, Dawg. I did laugh out loud at what you said to your old buddy there. It is sad, though, that after all these years, that's all he could say to you. Bums!

• geevee
    geevee

Well said Dawg.

We had a funeral here, when we were still "in". The lady had died and she was like a mother/grandmother to everyonein the cong. BUT she had a daughter who was DFed.
    There was this over officious elder who had just moved in and the co was present too. Did they keep tags on the whole "servant" body to ensure that no on went near the daughter or the refreshments served later where she would be present!
    What a most "unchristian" affair that was. A time when a bit of compassion could/should have been afforded to someone who needed it. At the time I was still an elder, I did manage a hand shake and tell her I was sorry for her loss. She didnt want to let go of my hand. I felt low that day. A definite turning point.

Thats why I love the way dawg handled it. Having the guts to say what you feel.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I guess that's my biggest complaint about the org. I don't believe the bible anyway, so I don't care about doctrine. But the unequal distribution of love...so shocking. I still remember a talk from many many years ago, or maybe it was a watchtower article, that seriously discussed whether you could stop to help a disfellowshiped woman change a tire. If I remember correctly, the conclusion was that you could IF she was on the way to the meeting. That is so unbelievable. I thought it was legalistic at the time and I still think so. Jesus showed love to people who were hated by others because they were considered wicked. That you can go to a woman's funeral and not show some compassion to her daughter, just because the daughter is DF'd, well, that proves that they just don't get the idea of love or of compassion.

I'm a firm believer in calling people on their crap. Congratulations on doing just that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit