If most men decided to wear a beard today, would the JW's follow?

by JH 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

In the 1950's (when I first became associated with the JW's) the organization portrayed (in their publications and in public talks) Jesus as a clean shaven man. This was insisted upon even though Jewish males would have been considered anathema for imitatating the pagan fashions of their day.

All of Christendom portrayed Jesus as having a beard. Jehovah's Witnesses did not.

Today, Jehovah's Witnesses portray Jesus as having a beard. Who was right and who was wrong?

If Jesus started going to meetings at a Kingdom Hall anonymously; he would be pressured to shave off his beard.

The issue of being beared or clean shaven is all about CONTROL.

It is an excellent way of determining who thinks and acts according to individuality and who conforms.

It is a way of forcing other issues.

If a man's conscience tells him growing a beard is not wrong and the Society pressures him to go against his own conscience the dissonance reveals an important principle.

Jehovah's Witnesses do not build good conscience nor do they respect good conscience. They do not teach; they control.

• lrkr
    lrkr

I remember hearing at Bethel that until about 15 years ago a caucasian brother with a moustache was looked down on (not used in positions of authority, etc). Hispanic and black brothers were allowed to have a moustache because "its their culture."

I'm not making this up....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit