Maybe I should go back and be a good little dubbie again!!

by AK - Jeff 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Jeff: You are officially invited to Canada for a visit. We can do the apostate rounds and see Mouthy and the other find Canucks who are in this neck of the woods.

But as for sun, well, they do call this the Great White North for a reason!

All this shingle talk made me think of Habitat for Humanity. Do they have something like that where you live? That would be a neat volunteer opportunity, or what about the local Salvation Army. We (kids and I) handed out food and warm mittens/scarves with them near Christmas. It was a humbling experience, and made us realize how much we have that we take for granted. The other place that often welcomes volunteers is nursing homes. We take the kids and sing/chat with the residents.

Really, there are so many opportunities out there! Let us know what you come up with.

• ANewLeif
    ANewLeif

I met some new friends at Applebee's last night. We now have plans to meet there every other Friday. The male in the relationship is in his mid 50's, the female in her late 40's. My wife and I are in our mid 30's.

People who want friends have to go where other people are and meet them. It is never too late to make friends; friends are a precious and rare commodity even though everyone needs them, so there are always friends ready to be made.

I will try to send you a private message.

ANL

• Threestars
    Threestars

Hi there, I hope you're doing better today!

What you said about Christian vs non Christian posters struck a chord. I think that what the non-Christian members here object to mainly is prosylytyzing (sp?) Anyone who's ever been a JW should have a the good sense to not do that, no matter what belief system they now have, and this includes athiesm.

There are great non denominational Christian churches everywhere. Check out this one:

http://www.unity.org/ The seem to be all over the USA.

I went there for a time and they have wonderful services. Even though I'm essentially agnostic now this church really filled a "spiritual" gap that I was feeling at the time and they are big on group gatherings, potlucks, etc. They are not the same as Unitarians--BTW, the Unitarians are also a pretty great group of people, more of a political group than a religious one, though.

Hang in there.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Warlock and Searcher - how true and thanx.

Sweetpea - I would love to come to England. Thanx for the invite. There are so many wonderful people over there I would love to meet from JWD. Maybe someday, when the grandmunchkins quit eating up all my cash. LOL

Carla - good suggestions. I have already got a listing of the Kiwanis clubs in the area - and I will begin looking into that soon. Taking a class is a good idea too. Thank you.

Also if you can afford it, a trip to a Dallas Apostafest is worth it, you would have so much fun.

Great idea too, Dave.

What about starting up a cult exit support group? Or is there something you could do with your public speaking skills? I know you have mentioned before about going round to speak on the Watchtower. Why not go door-to-door and talk about the WT as a cult? It would be interesting to see people's reactions since most are annoyed by the JWs. Would they welcome some material to help them or arm them-, or what about a JWS DO NOT CALL sign (Mouthy has some of those).

TS - I have files begun on this idea - and will possibly follow thru. I have lost a bit of my steam on that one lately - part of the healing I guess. Still, thanx for the suggestion, I am still on the lookout for the best way to approach this.

I know it's not much but, if I am ever DF'ed, give a call, and I will drive down to help with
    those shingles. With the faithful JW wife and the fade, I can't promise I would ever make
    it to the aposta-BBQ, but I would try.

I know you would too, OTWO. Best case? Wifey gets out with you and we party till sun-up!

Or you should go to a spa and get a massage and heat lights! doesn't sound practical? Have the kids play 'spa' today and you are the customer! Wifey can help out with the facials and such! Their little fingers can give massages and even feet massages! hey, this is sounding ok, maybe I should borrow some little kids who go along much better than older ones!

Carla, this is a great thing to do. The kids love to walk on my back - and I can actually go to sleep while they do it sometimes. Come on over, they won't mind another.

All this shingle talk made me think of Habitat for Humanity

TS - I believe I could get into that. I don't know if there is a local chapter or not.

It is never too late to make friends; friends are a precious and rare commodity even though everyone needs them, so there are always friends ready to be made.

ANL - True enough. Still it is the practical application that seems to elude us former Jw's. I am beginning to turn over my own lief on this however. [Pun intended.

What you said about Christian vs non Christian posters struck a chord. I think that what the non-Christian members here object to mainly is prosylytyzing (sp?) Anyone who's ever been a JW should have a the good sense to not do that, no matter what belief system they now have, and this includes athiesm.

3Stars - I was concerned that perhaps my comments in that regard would be taken wrongly. I have no ill feelings toward those who have become [or always were for that matter] athiests. In fact, some of them have been favorite posters of mine here. I only meant that mention at times of what was close to my heart may have been offensive to them, and so I felt hemmed in at times in that regard. Of course I have been attacked by some on rare occasions over the matter of God/No God. Just to be clear - I have no predudice against those who profess other than I in that regard, just that in times of personal issue over matters of religion, it was harder to feel free to make open expression.

The Wednesday night services is a great idea. Thanx.

To all - a better day has come due to you guys [and gals] here. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Jeff

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Like Enlightenment, I'm one of those introverted types. I, actually, don't want company. I have people that want to be my friend, but I quickly shut them out. I have people that will call me about every month to see how I'm doing and I'll refuse to talk on the phone. I come from a very large family and I relish my privacy now. I have lots of neices and nephews around my age!? I use to hang out with them a lot. Nowadays, I've gotten into some sort of funk where I won't even hang out with my beloved neices.

I'm sure you know that you have friends here, and that many are willing to open their homes to you. We're all going through some sort of disruption in our lives due to the borg. We've got to find away to fill that empty space. There are many people out there in the world looking for someone like you Jeff -- A true friend. I think if you let yourself do it you'd make good friends easily because you're that type of person.

Look into the suggestions that others have made. They sound like a reasonable project to me.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx MsMcDucket.

Jeff

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Have you ever attended a Universal Unitarian Church? They believe that you can believe in anything. They understand the need to worship, but make no judgment on how you chose to do it. They open every service with different rituals from Buddhism, Christian, Native American, Hindu, Islam, you name it they do it. I actually learned alittle about other different belief systems through them. They also are very involved with current issues, the environment. Our local chapter here in the summer has a nature walk every weekend. All our welcome. I find it refreshing.

Even though you don't always see it on the boards, many of us are like you, we still feel the need to belong. It is one of the reasons we were drawn to the JW religion, as well as our desire to worship. You need to find out what makes you feel like you are filling that part of you, if you don't you will always feel like something is missing. Good luck, just know that we are here for you.

Leslie

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

In reading your post Jeff, you already know not to go back, you are suffering from the normal need to feel apart of something and someone in a social sense.

In going back is like the dog returning to his vomit and especially the lack of love, the fake love of many of the brothers and the hypocrisy.

I think that you have more skills then you mentioned, try getting into a hobby, joining a club or helping others.

Sorry to hear about your feelings of lonilness and self worth. Wish you the best.

abr

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    My history is gone, washed away, with no one to discuss it with other than my wife, who has heard all I have to say about life and love already a thousand times.

My 2 cents...

Jeff,

This, more than anything else, has been the most lasting damaging thing I have experienced after leaving the cult. It's already been said, but, being part of the cult you have ready-made 'friends' who you are told are trustworthy and honest, so you believe in that. There is an expectation of premade friendships, but, really you don't have to work at them... they just exist.

We were never taught how to make and maintain real lasting friendships. Friendships are hard work, and we are really lazy in that respect. I still have a hard time with it, and being married I think makes it worse... you've got one friend that you don't have to work too hard to keep, so why bother working hard to make others? There is also a level of fear involved when you go out there to make your own friends that you don't have when you are a cult member; rejection.

Although we all experienced a certain level of rejection within the cult, it is nothing compared to the real world because we were all expected (at least in appearance) to politely get along. Being openly told, "No, I just don't think I want to hang out with you" or "You're not my type" even in pursuing a friendship is, well, foreign and somewhat painful. We also had prearranged meeting times and activities that we were expected to attend. Our social calendar was made up for us. Not that we necessarily enjoyed the meetings, but the socialization both before and after was just there without extra effort. It was also 'free'.

Socialization in real life requires individual planning, committment and often cost. It requires the effort to find your own likes and dislikes rather than just going with the flow. I still struggle, but have found to my delight that friendships are more honest in real life. In the cult you expect that your "brother will lay down his life for you" but it's a lie. They won't even talk to you as soon as you do one thing that is wrong or speak your mind in the wrong way. In real life, you don't have that false expectation, but you can disagree with someone or even get in an argument and a week later the person is calling you on the phone saying, "Hey, Man. Wanna bring Shirly and go bowling?" People are less fake, at least in my experience.

Something that helped me through this, and it's already been suggested here, but find what you like, and then find a group of people who are excited about the same thing. I don't care if it's stamp collecting to rock climbing, there is a group that meets to talk about it. Find a local chapter, and join. Don't go there looking for the "I'll die for you" lie though, it doesn't exist. Just go to have fun, be the kind of person you would hang with and you'll find amazing people out there who want to be your friend.

Jean

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Hey there Jeff. Wow what a post, I'm glad you are feeling better today.

Everyone has downer days where the sun hides and it might be better to just go back to bed.

I think you received some excellent suggestions. I think I would only add look through meetup.com for meet ups that you would really enjoy going to. I know someone who moved into another area and joined a wine tasting club right away.

Start with things you truly enjoy doing. You might actually find other exjw's who don't hang out on the computer (and thus would not know about this place) and would be able to relate to everything you are going through, if not exjw's, other ex cult survivors who can relate.

I haven't been in a church in a while, but my first suggestion is the Unitarian Universalist church. Here is a link to a UU link:

http://www.uua.org/ I don't know if their style would fit with your beliefs, as they are not Christian, but you might find some good discussions happening at your local UU church.

Glad you are doing better today!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit