When is a person's "race" not going to be the topic of conversation?

by booker-t 13 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

I think this Don Imus scandal just goes to show that no matter how hard a person works or how much he or she succeed in life their "race" or ethnicity or "gender" is always going to be the determining factor. Instead of Don Imus congradulating the "girls basketball team" for all of their hard work, he has to insult them. I am glad he got fired and I hope it sends a message to anybody else that wants to publicly insult a group. When I was growing up my parents always told me to treat people the way they treat you. But in this day and age "race" is still the first thing people look at when a person walks in the door. And for people trying to justify his remarks by comparing it to rappers, what about Caucasian people that call other Caucasian people "poor white trash" or "rednecks" does this make it alright for black and hispanics to start calling white people by these "racist slurs" just because white people use them? Rappers are wrong for using words like Don Imus and he is also wrong.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Probably never. Unfortunately.

• BR25
    BR25

Im not a racisct, but you never will stop hearing about it because their billions of people out there and every time a white says something the wrong way it is made into a global epidimic, but people like sharperton and jackson can say anything, anytime, anywhere and they are granted ammunity. ( duke lacrosse). They say all they want about this and dont have to apologize. I am sorry but a rape trial has much more meaning then a bad statement

• 5go
    5go

when one rtace finally eliminate the rest.of course then you would get a Babylon 5 senario going. The drazi where one race but they had this thing where every seven years they split up into greens and purples and of course fight it out to see who was the leader.

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

They are not granted immunity BR25. I listen to Rush Limbaugh and believe me, they get their share of criticism.

Anyway, Sharpton and Jackson are not the moral compass of the black community. Trust me, no one is blindly following them. Sometimes I cringe at the issues they choose to get behind, and I certainly think they both should use more discretion.

As for the Duke lacrosse thing, I should hope that everyone would rally around someone who is claiming to be a rape victim, no matter the race of the victim or the accused. I don't think that we can afford not to.

And that is what infuriates me about this case. Any woman making false claims of rape makes it that much harder for actual rape victims to come forward for fear that their claims will be viewed with skepticism. I think she should be sued and prosecuted.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

That's a real fine question! Unfortunately it's one this honkie can't answer at the present time.

Nvr

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

He's a marginal shock jock. Thats his thing. I guess society is saying that kind of humor doesnt fly anymore. I think in America the blacks have more than paid their dues and they shouldnt have to endure racist remarks. I think the black leaders would create a lot of good will, if they would go after the rappers as well and do away with the doulbe standard. Some racist terms should be taboo for everyone.

If they dont go after the rappers we will have more Imus like incidents.

Which I guess is good for selling newspappers and getting people to watch the news.

What are we trying to do? Have a perfect world?

I am white, but I think the time is comming when the majority in America will be brown. Not black, Not white, Brown. Then the whites and the blacks will be the minority.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

While I do not like shock jocks in general and despise disparaging remarks about women, I wonder what the response would have been if Imus had said instead: "stringy blond haired hos".

I don't think we would be having this conversation.

LHG

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When is a person's "race" not going to be the topic of conversation?

Probably not until we see through the skin and treat people with respect.

Sadly there is a growing trend of putting other people down. It is in the music our children. It is in the commercials on TV (my present pet peep is SunSilk); it is is our politicians.

Kids are copying by bulling other in the schoolyards and slowly people are waking up to it there.

But it won't change until we really understand that everyone deserves to be respected.

• TD
    TD

Things look pretty bleak to me.

Take the word "race" itself. The term continues to flourish as a social definition (Especially in the U.S.) long after the it has fallen out of favor with anthropologists as too flawed to be a scientific definition.

You could ask ten people what the word "Caucasian" means and probably all of them will say a "White person." Oh really? What "race" are natives of India? How about Greece? How about Italy?

Skin color is an even more flawed yardstick to divide the human family than 19th century phrenology. (If that is possible)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit