Has anyone been in one of the dramas while a JW?

by Nowman 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Nowman
    Nowman

It probably was one of my few happy moments of being a JW. My mom, dad, and I were asked to be in the modern day drama, think it was in 1988-1990 (not sure exactly). I played a worldly girl named "Dolly Winters" who was considered a bold and brazon girl who eventually studied to become one of JWs because of a good example JW that she went to school with. My parents played this couple that were sitting on the spititual fence, they would argue, etc. I actually had a wonderful time not because I was a part of something for the org, but because I always wanted to be an actress. We had to go to three different district conventions, one being in Cicero, Illinois (Hawthorne Race Track), where the drama was held on the race track, the dirt. We had to memorize our lines and lipsink. But after we in the drama, it was a couple of years before JWs stopped asking us about it, people told me I played such a good "worldly girl", here I have been for almost 15 years!

Nikki

• White Dove
    White Dove

Congrats! I have always wanted to be in one for the acting and the noteriety (at least I'm honest). Never was chosen. Pioneered for just that reason-to be picked (also had a crush on another pioneer going through a divorce). Quit JW's in 2005, got involved in the Pentecostals AOG, got saved, got baptized, and got picked immediately after auditions for a speaking part (I'm deaf) in this year's Easter production where over 5,000 people in the community saw it! Hope you can get with a production of some kind in your non-jw life:) Best wishes!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I played Ham, Noahs son at the Cleveland assembly, at the cleveland baseball, football stadium in about 1973. The stadium held 80,000 we had people from Detroit, Pittsburg, Toronto. We wore make up, wigs and costumes. I think the local papers printed our pictures acting, or performing the drama. If I remember we spent about 3 months rehearsing and preparing for the show. It was all lipsynced to a sound track.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

My wife and I played a young couple who slipped a bit due to starting a business in the 1986 thriller, "Beware of losing faith by drawing away from Dog."

I also had another role. I don't like to brag or anything, but it was my performance in the Jeremiah drama that turned the name "man 3" into a household word. I was the guy who helped the guy who helped the guy who pulled Jeremiah out of the well.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I played a brother called Barry (in English) who became a witness in spite of his parents opposition. He uttered the words: If my father or mother leaves me, Jehovah will accept me.

Well, kind of prophetic, I ended up leaving Jehovah, and my parents left me too...

• Nowman
    Nowman

I remember when I was in this drama, I had the biggest crush on this brother who was one of the helpers in the drama. He was quite older than me but I thought for sure I had a chance. Turns out he was dating one of my best friends older sisters, I couldn't believe it. At the same time, he approached me and said "Nikki, its my understanding that you have a crush on me", I am like as red as a tomato with this blank stare. He basically told me I was too young, he was flattered, I was desvasted. I later saw him when I grew up, I did not think he was so cute anymore, and he completely hit on me, I was thinking "yuk", too bad for you...lol. Oh, the joys of being a teen as a JW.

I did have a blast playing a worldy girl, I had my "worldly outfit" at the beginning of the drama and my JW outfit (cause you know I became a JW at the end of the drama, lol) at the end (my mom had made it for me, it was so ugly).

Nikki

• stillajwexelder
  • Mulan
    Mulan

We were in two dramas. One was 1987 or 88. Dave was Joshua (the Rahab drama) and I was an Israelite woman. All I did was mourn Moses' death.

In 1995 we were in one about helping the elderly. I played a woman with an elderly mother and they gave me a different husband. Dave was one of the elders discussing how to help the elderly in their cong. He was in the January 1996 WT on that drama. I think it was the January 15. Our son (16) was also in it, playing a boy who helped a couple with their yard work. Funny because we were well on our way out by the time we had to perform the drama.

Dave was in another one the year before I think, about Jezebel. He was Jehu.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

We were in two dramas. One was 1987 or 88. Dave was Joshua (the Rahab drama) and I was an Israelite woman. All I did was mourn Moses' death.

The Joshua Drama was 1987 and contained some of the most corny and banal lines ever " Its the terrifying war cry of the sons of Israel" is one that springs immediately to mind. There was a character called eema who played Rahabs sister

• minimus
    minimus

In the 70s, I was the MS "studying to be an elder".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit