When a family member has bi-polar.

by purplesofa 27 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    1. Family history( parent, sibling, grandparent, aunt, uncles - many may not have known of fam hx as was not treated in past, kept quiet ie. grandma suzie was kept in the back room cause she was crazy!

I talked to the shrink about me being bi-polar and they sort of dismissed it. I told them that I felt like I fought the symptoms alot when I was a young adult. She did not seem to think much was wrong with me as I keep a job and have a house etc etc etc.

I felt like my daughter may have learned some of her behaviour from me. I don't know. My mother is IMO crazy, thought I dont think bi-polar. And there is no blood, but my stepdad and half brother both committed suicide.

I never can tell with my daughter if or when she is being 19, bi-polar, normal, rebellious. I don't know when to be patient or when to make demands.

I do know that the best thing was to quit going to the meetings as her behaviour was totally thought of as immoral, a rebellious teen, bad association etc etc. She is very loved though, even two years of not going to meetings, sisters from the hall still come by and check on her and do things for her.

I can see that this is not going to be easy and it will be a lifelong struggle for her and myself as I love her very much.

purps

• restrangled
    restrangled

Purps, from what I learned this affliction normally skips a generation. I see signs of it in my older son.

My father's father also had a wicked temper and wound up killing a man with 4 children over water rights. He hung himself in jail.

Just keep your eyes open, and the medication really does stabilize the situation.

Take care.

r.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I dont know my real father but my mother told me he was paranoid schizophrenic. I never really believed her. I know my great grandfather had some sort of mental issues.

Purps, from what I learned this affliction normally skips a generation.

I am always surprised at the amount of people that have family members with mental disorders. When I was growing up everyone must have kept it quiet or I never noticed it in others as I do not remember meeting anyone like that.

purps

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Hey purps,

I'm sorry your daughter is going thru this, but part of me is happy to have someone to relate to. Maybe we can help each other, as other members have offered their insight into this situation, we can get knowledge and strength from discussing with other people who have been there and are there now!!!

Not to steal purps thread - but my son called me today asking me to come and get him out (he's in the phsyc ward, in another state), I asked him if he remembered all the nasty names he'd called me over the past couple days and he claimed he didn't, so I connected him to 3 way and replayed all the saved messages, he hung up around message #5!!!

I think being consistant with how we handle loved ones, be it our children, parents, siblings or friends is what matters.

Hang in there purps, I know I'm trying!!!

nj

• juni
    juni

Hi again purps,

From what I've read it is an inherited condition. My mom I feel was not diagnosed. It was not talked about back then. I felt low most of my growing up years and when I left the JWs and the stress it caused and what all the kids went through and the guilt I felt for putting them through all of the rules and regulations, I finally "flipped" out.

I've read that it often times takes something very stressful in your life to "set it in action" if you are prone to clinical depression. Your brain chemicals get out of whack and you can't cope w/stress like a "normal" person can.

I hope you can get satisfying answers from the professionals you are seeing. If you don't feel you are, can you request a change in Drs.? I know w/insurance they make you jump through hoops.

I'm sure w/the proper meds and your emotional support your daughter will be able to go on w/a productive life. And yes. It does take about 2 weeks for them to "kick" in. When you go off, takes a few days to start feeling not right. You have to stay tuned in w/your moods and not second guess them. I feel that one of the most frustrating parts of this illness is getting onto the right medication and the dosage you need.

I wish you and your daughter well.

Juni

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was raised by a mother who suffered from untreated mental illness and one of my sons suffers from mental illness. The hardest thing has been to act and not react.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    The hardest thing has been to act and not react.

exactly

Thanks tijkmo

printing out what you sent now.

purps

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Hey purps, I haven't time to read all the posts today, but I do want to say that I'm bi-polar type 2 and I'd be glad to share any thoughts with you. Feel free to pm me and/or also wifey (exwitless) if you want her take on how to live with somebody with bi-polar.

There was a lithium thread recently that had good info (sift through it though, there is some flat out wrong info that gets spread around about bi-polar disorder). I would check that thread out.

Also, please, please make sure that the diagnosis is correct as to the type of bi-polar disorder. Type 1 is very different from type 2 and they take completely different meds to treat. Many times an md will not have the knowlege to tell the difference and it is best to go to a shrink instead. If a med that is good for type 1 is prescribed for somebody with type 2, the results can be disasterous.

Hang in there.

LDB

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

littledrummerboy

she will be going to a psyciatrist @$185.00 for 15 mins. And all he will do is prescribe and monitor meds!!!

I dont know the difference between the two different diagnosis but i will do some googling on it.

thanks everyone for your input and support. I am going to find a board that supports family members and has info about bipolar disorder, that should help out as well.

again......you all have no idea how helpful you have been for me today.

purps

• Threestars
    Threestars

My life shattered into a living nightmare six years ago when my youngest child, my only son, was diagnosed with severe early-onset schizo-affective disorder, which is basically all of the symptoms of bipolar illness (he's a rapid cycler--sometimes ten or fifteen times per day) along with schizophrenia. I had left my husband seven months before our youngest child was born because he had become dangerously psychotic, however I had believed it to be caused by drug and alcohol abuse. Then, at age twelve, our son started to act just like the father he had never met.

He had been a beautiful, intelligent, loving child, a straight A student. After his diagnosis his docs and I were able to note that there were signs (called "prodromal") as he was growing up. He was a loner, he had trouble making connections between ideas, he occasionally had OCD, but I never made a big deal of anything since he did so well in school and was so kind and sweet. Within a year after fifth grade his grades dropped to failing and he lapsed into first a severe depression, then violent outbursts, bizarre obsessions about his body,and then I came home from work one day with food for dinner and he met me at the door with the most horrible grin on his face and told me that he knew that I was putting poison into his food. I knew in that instant that my son was schizophrenic and it felt exactly if I had been hit with a sledgehammer in my stomach. I think a big part of me just died right then.

He's been hospitalized eight times in the last six years and had two suicide attempts. They can't seem to find the right combination of meds to keep him stable. He's on clozaril and abilify right now but the clozaril has affected his heart and can cause death without constant monitoring. For the last year and a half it has been so bad that I myself have gone into a terrible depression and I don't even want to share some of the thoughts that go through my head at times. Mental illness takes a terrible toll, not only on the victims, but also on the family members who love them.

Please believe that I know exactly what you are going through. I send my deepest sympathy to you. You have a hard road ahead of you unless you are willing to completely disown your child and I don't think that is your intention. You need to be very strong AND courageous. Mental illness is the "Demon" of all illnesses, and I don't mean that in the JW sense. You will become very sensitive to "crazy people" jokes. No one would ever think of making a TV sitcom about the humorous side of cancer and no one would ever come to a company halloween party costumed as a quadriplegic or a patient suffering the side effects of chemo therapy but it seems that the mentally ill are fair game for insensitivity along those lines. Please take care of yourself--and I hope you are able to have a good support system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit