Who here are basically athiest now???

by What-A-Coincidence 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Hardcore atheist here. I just joined the New Enlgand Skeptics Society and am a member of The Brights, an international group that has no belief in the supernatural and works to educate people about atheism, etc.

Wanderer - I've given my definitions on your thread.

S4 - ex-elder, ex-MS, ex-pioneer, ex-assembly overseer, ex-etc!

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I guess I have to count myself as an atheist now. For a while I thought I was an agnostic leaning towards atheism. But I have never been able to reconcile the way agnostic's esentially sit on the fence.

• onacruse
    onacruse

I'm a deist (insofar as labels mean anything).

I find Hawking's quantum-dynamical theories about the origin (and therefore meaning) of the universe to be very compelling, but nevertheless just as unprovable as God.

After all, within the framework of our perceptions, nothing is provable.

Thus, I choose the position (as others have stated above) to allow for possibilities beyond myself (including God).

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

To my fellow atheists:

I find the silence of the God-believers on this thread to be deafening.

Nvr

• golf2
    golf2

As I have said a number of times, I don't care if people believe in Donald Duck or Bugs Bunny, I beleive in my Creator. My personal experience with humans has not been encouraging. People talk and when the chips are down they are no where to be found to help others.

Golf

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

As I posted on another thread.

Do you believe in Quezecotyl? If not... then you might be a rednec... um I mean atheist. Do you believe in apollo? You see everyone is an atheist. Some of us just reject one more god than others.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    As I have said a number of times, I don't care if people believe in Donald Duck or Bugs Bunny, I beleive in my Creator. My personal experience with humans has not been encouraging. People talk and when the chips are down they are no where to be found to help others.

Golf
    IP: pVzzPTLhcNpbDgs4

Golf2, your pessimism is bringin' me down. People perform altruistic humanitarian acts everyday. I'm sorry you've had such a negative experience with your human brothers and sisters. How has their experience been with you? We tend to get what we give.

Nvr

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Very interesting fact(in conjunction with IP SEC's observation):

The word atheist was first utilized by the Romans to describe the god-rejecting Christians.

Nvr

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm not "almost" anymore, I'm an atheist now. With God in the universe, things don't make sense. I have to keep asking, "Then why does he...." or "why doesn't he...". In order to fit God into the universe, I have to make all sorts of illogical leaps.

Take the god concept out, and the universe makes all the sense in the world. Everything looks precisely as I would expect it to look. So there's no proof that no god exists (how could there be proof of the non-existence of something?), but there is compelling circumstantial evidence, in my opinion.

Dave

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

"The more I reject belief in God, the more foolish I was." W.Once

Yep, at the point of not giving a crap either way which means I'm free from the whole thing. I would like to harness that part of me that invested so much trust in the nonexistent so that I could benefit the way I did from such confidence. Those days are gone.

NO MO JEHO.

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit