Who here are basically athiest now???

by What-A-Coincidence 77 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

*RAISES HAND

a few interesting quotes:

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." Unknown

"The careful student of history will discover that Christianity has been of very little value in advancing civilization, but has done a great deal toward retarding it."
    ..........Matilda Joslyn Gage, "Woman, Church and State", 1893

"Faith is often the boast of the man who is too lazy to investigate."
    ..........F.M. Knowles

"Jesus' last words on the cross, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" hardly seem like the words of a man who planned it that way. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure there is something wrong here."

Sir Julian Huxley (Religion without revelation) - "The sense of spiritual relief, which comes from rejecting the idea of God as a supernatural being, is enormous."
    ... This thread is not to argue athiesm... just to see who on the board are.

wac - X Bethelite X Elder (10 Years in the Borg)

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I don't know if I'm a true atheist, but I do believe the god painted by the bible is a study in dysfunctionality.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

I guess I'm an open minded atheist. I don't believe in a single omnipotent morally-incorruptable being, but I don't discount the possibility that we owe our existence to some greater/higher being or beings?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Raises hand.

"Checking in Master WAC."

I guess I'm an open minded atheist. I don't believe in a single omnipotent morally-incorruptable being, but I don't discount the possibility that we owe our existence to some greater/higher being or beings?

I really like the way you put that Dark Knight. I like to think of myself as a reverent atheist. If there is a higher being, I wish not to offend it, but choose not to live in fear of that which has not manifested itself to me.

I subscribe to the Atheist's Wager:

You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in God. If there is no God, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent God, he will judge you on your merits and not just on whether or not you believed in him.

Nvr( ex-Bethelite, ex-elder, 4th generation Witness)

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in God. If there is no God, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent God, he will judge you on your merits and not just on whether or not you believed in him.

Exactly!!! Nice one nvr!

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

ok, not to be a copy cat, but I'll raise my hand...

If god does exsist, where is he?

I think that a powerful, intelligent entity maybe created all of this....but I'm open minded to it all just happening by some fluke too...

I too live my life by nvr's philosophy...

great thread WAC!

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

"If god does exsist, where is he?"

I've always wondered about this too. I know that when I have children someday, I'm going to want to have as much involvement in their lives as possible. So if we are the offspring of some higher being, where is he? It doesn't seem right that we would be left all alone like we have been.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, i have a lack of belief in most all so-called literal gods (God included).

i'm also a pantheist (God = Nature/Cosmos).

in terms of "god" as a metaphor for ourselves and our systemic relationship with everything, i'm a fervent theist. :)

tetrapod (x-pioneer & MS)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

tetrapod (x-pioneer & MS)

Dude tetra! I would have loved pioneering with you dawg! LOL! We'd a had some kick-ass studies. LOL!

Nvr

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I think both ends of the spectrum require a certain measure of faith.

I am inclined to believe that God exists but that he has little interest in his creation.

If, as a father, I behaved as he has done my childrens therapists would recommend that they never speak to me again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit