Feeling a little sorry for ourselves...

by exwitless 19 Replies latest jw friends

• exwitless
    exwitless

Little Drummer Boy and I have struggled our entire married lives in just about every way: financially, emotionally, religiously, you name it. It's like nothing EVER comes easy for us. EVER. Just when one sorta good thing happens, something a whole lot worse happens and ruins our optimism. We made HUGE sacrifices when we became JWs, then suffered for 14 years under borg control with the typical guilt and exhaustion that comes along with it. Then we struggled to break away from the borg, but we had to do it at the right time because LDB's job was subcontracted from an elder in our congregation. Once he was ready to quit, we DA'd. What a huge relief it was to be free of the nagging elder visits and phone calls; the looking over my shoulder when I was shopping for Easter candy so my son could have his first Easter egg hunt at age 8. LDB enrolled in college before we DA'd. I enrolled in distance learning college to further my nursing degree.

The financial struggles are the worst. I don't mean to sound materialistic, but money DOES buy happiness, at least to some degree. We are so financially strapped, and we have been ever since a JW couple took advantage of us when we were very new "in the truth". They literally took us for thousands of dollars. We trusted them; and we're still paying for that mistake to this day-literally. Since we're trying to better our lives thru education, even though we both work, there is just never enough money. I'm not talking about not having enough to buy extra things or go on vacation. I'm talking about groceries and the electric bill.

We haven't been on a vacation since we were married 13 1/2 years ago. I'm not exaggerating. No vacation for 13 1/2 years. We were hoping to be able to go on a little vacation when LDB finishes school this May, but no. There's no money. We kinda feel trapped. Our lives consist of work, school, laundry, dishes, helping with homework, fall in to bed exhausted, wake up the next day and do it all over again. No end in sight for now.

Now don't you all worry about us. We'll get through it. Thank goodness we at least don't have the pressure of the borg on top of it all.

Thanks for listening to my whining. Good night!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Yeah, I'm still paying financially for decisions I made based on what I learned in that horrid organization too. Keep fighting though. Like you said, at least you're not still being controlled by the borg. You never know when something's going to pay off. You may also want to check out the book, The Richest Man In Babylon. It's a short but insightful guide on how to start building real wealth.

Good luck!

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote
    Our lives consist of work, school, laundry, dishes, helping with homework, fall in to bed exhausted, wake up the next day and do it all over again. No end in sight for now.

I can definitely relate. I am doing the same thing as a single mom. It's just all so overwhelming and exhausting sometimes. I feel like a freaking dishrag today - irritated, angry, exhausted. I took the weekend off and will still end up going into work tomorrow and ended up getting ambushed into pet-sitting this weekend. I'd like some uncomitted time . . . just for me . . . sick of it all . . . and nothing to really show for it. aarghhh happy effing easter.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

"this too shall pass"

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    Little Drummer Boy and I have struggled our entire married lives in just about every way: financially, emotionally, religiously, you name it. It's like nothing EVER comes easy for us. EVER.

Oh, MAN, sweetie...can I EVER RELATE!! I know how it feels to just wish you could stop worrying all the time! *That* would really be a luxury.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Life of repeated routines can seem like living on a treadmill. I am fairly well off. But I still have to work to maintain my life style. And working 5 days a week the routine over and over can be a real drag. That's why we all need to win the lottery.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'm always struggling financially, but I try to make sensible buying decisions. Anything I buy I try to look after and then wear a few times and sell it on ebay.

13 years with no vacation! That is bad! I always take vacations - I have to to keep me sane. Usually if I go out of season when its cold and when the resort is mainly closed I can get a week's holiday for around £120, which is $240.

Look forward to when your educations hopefully pay out and give you jobs with benefits. As am I!

• blondie
    blondie

(((hugs))) and congratulations for sticking with it.

I know a sister who had a serious operation the first year of her marriage. No money to speak of and no vacation time. Instead she and her husband rediscovered their local town, as if they were tourists from far away. It was amazing what they discovered right under their noses. Just day or 1/2 day trips, free museums, a local beach, a walk in a city park. Also, one of those dinners where their friends brought a dish from another culture. Visits to a free zoo.

Blondie

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Great ideas Blondie. I think all of us have a tendency to think that we have to go away to really have a vacation. Most people live in areas that people travel to, to see attractions in their hometown. Maybe you and hubby could look at what is local. Sometimes we need a break of the routine more then leaving the area.

The good news is that with education comes financial stability. You are both doing the right thing by furthering your education. Good luck, and vent away.

Leslie

• moshe
    moshe

I wanted to buy $5000 worth of Apple computer stock in 1977 from the proceeds on a house we had sold- we were renting from a sister- my wife was against doing that, since the "end" was so near. I don't want to calculate what that $5000 in apple stock would be worth today. No regrets as I have a great family today and will be able to enjoy a modest retirement in a few years. My only consolation is that there is a Moshe in another parallel universe who Did buy that Apple stock and he has a beach front home in Malibu.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit