How has knowing the Jehovah's Witnesses changed your culture?

by love11 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• love11
    love11

Hi, long time no see. I am in a Cultural Anthropology class now and any info. you can give me for my paper would be appreciated. I promise I won't use names and only refer to your story in general. Thank you so much for everything.

Have you embraced other cultures after leaving the organization? What changes occured in your family life? religion? habits? Or anything at all you would like to add.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I lost my family life, so my friends filled that void.

And all my friends happen to share a common interest - body modification.

So now, I'm a thriving member of this huge counter-culture / sub-culture of people just like me.

It feels right because its something I've always desired. I don't think that I stand out any more with tattoos and piercings than I ever did sitting in McDonald's in a suit.

• love11
    love11

Thanks Richie for the comment. I know what you mean. I felt embarrased going to the Memorial, it felt like I was attending a meeting for a pyramid scheme. Afterwards my dad wanted us to go to Big Boy for some coffee. He told the waitress we just got out of a meeting for Jehovah's Witnesses, the look on her face was priceless. Thanks again.

• zagor
    zagor
    the look on her face was priceless.

Yeah I remember those looks. I used to go with this bro from house to house and he had particularly nasty habit to exclaim "OH Jehovah God" particularly when we were passing policeman for some reason. I think he wanted to show them how fearless he was, in reality he looked like a real loon ...

How has knowing the Jehovah's Witnesses changed your culture?

It hasn't. It will sound presumptuous but I think I brought a touch of culture among witnoids I associated with, and so have my mom and sister. Not that dumbasses were ever able to appreciate that.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    Have you embraced other cultures after leaving the organization? What changes occured in your family life? religion? habits? Or anything at all you would like to add.

After knowing or leaving the Witnesses, EVERYTHING CHANGES, your entire life is demanded very slowly out of you, your thinking, your actions, your habits, your views on other people, schooling, other religions, your dreams, your desires, your outlook on the future, your thoughts on vacations, raising your children.

There is NO aspect of life that does not change, everything is dictated by the Society, they start very slowly with some simple Bible truths, then the more you go to meetings and hang out with them you are sucked in and very insidioiusly, they have your mind and hopefully your heart.

You are not allowed any independent thinking in almost anything from your sex life to what you should do for retirement, savings, what kind of car.

It is complete MIND CONTROL, they do it without you even noticing, UNTIL YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM

abr

• rose petal
    rose petal

Hi, it's been 15 years now, but getting out of the Borg is like the proverbial weight lifting off your shoulders. You could think things like, how come, if they don't want kids to go to uni, why do they bignote JW members like the lawyers? Why can't we let the kids watch the Smurfs?

You think, hey, I don't have to stay with my abusive husband because it will all get better in the new system.

You end up more cynical, when people tell you things, you think, yeah, right!

You begin to think of possibilities, like, I can go to uni and get a degree (1 year to go)

rose petal

• love11
    love11

Zagor- Good to see you could still be an individual in any environment! That's probably why you're on the outside now.

Avid- I know what you mean. You have to go through an entire overall of your life. Being raised in it from birth, every mental developmental milestone is delayed. Autonomy is nearly non-existent.

Rose- So glad that you are bettering yourself. Personally, I know I could never go back because I have too strong of a mind. They don't like girls with tough minds! lol

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

I trust no one. I fear group think. I cringe at social events. I avoid spending time with people.

• love11
    love11

Free- I don't think that feeling will ever completely go away, but it will lessen over time. Some distrust is a good thing!

• hubert
    hubert

I've never been a witness, but since my daughter started studying with them, I've learned more about the Bible, pros and cons, and how to detect cults, how to research them, and help counter them.

Plus, I've met a whole bunch of beautiful people here at jwd, and I try to help them when I can, even just my two scents worth.

Thanks for being here, friends.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit