How has knowing the Jehovah's Witnesses changed your culture?

by love11 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• rose petal
    rose petal

Hubert, I was told about Steven Hassan's book, "Combatting cult mind control". I got it and read it last night. It is brilliant. He makes a distinction between 'deprogramming' and interventions. He's ethical.

He recommends that you stay in touch with your family member who is in a cult. Breaking ties make it that much harder to get them back. He offers techniques to make them think about 'the old days' and remember and get in touch with their feelings. I could see that it would be very effective.

Off topic, sorry, but it was appropriate I think :)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

once I quit going to the KH, I visited other churches, even went to a Buddhist ceremony, decided religion is not for me. I don't believe any of it, mostly have been a lot happier since leaving the WTBTS, feel lighter and more free, have learned how to be an independent thinker, oh I guess I changed in lots of ways. right now going through a little hell, but it is only temporary. I don't like religion, but I like to read the Dalai Lama's writing now and then, I like what he says.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

After leaving I began to live a normal life, celebrate the holidays, vote, become involved in my community. My circle of friends is much wider and I appreciate other points of views when I didn't before. I am more spiritual in a kinder, better, more evolved way. The JW way of life is constriced and narrow, with not much oppurtunity to change and grow as a person.

• vomit
    vomit

Raised in, or should I say razed in?

Positive things that changed after I left.
    I am less materialistic than any JW I have met.
    I am more honest.
    I can show love to anybody with out constraint.

Bad things.
    I am a nihilist and can't really identify with anything other than my own morals that I create for myself.

• heathen
    heathen

I don't trust religionists and seem to have an amazing ability to see through their BS. The WTBTS does do a good job on educating how to identify a false belief but don't apply it to themselves,is their big problem. I only did the six month bible study was never in but I feel it did impact my life in alot of ways . I do still believe in God .I live a fairly honest life , these days almost too honest , nobody would believe how honest .I do not go around looking to victimize people .

• love11
    love11

Wow, thank you for all of your comments. It has been an interesting semester for me. I have not been to a kingdom hall in twelve years and recently I went to the memorial for more information for my paper. It was surreal. Old, dusty, and worn out are words that only come close to what I saw. Thank you again, for your help. I will post my finished paper as soon as I can for any that care to read it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit