What do you feel is your greatest achievement?

by avidbiblereader 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Leaving the witnesses.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Breaking the cycle of child abuse as a parent.

Ditto. Improving my character everyday. My outlook on life.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

My greatest achievement was taking control of my life.

On January 8, 2006, I packed up my stuff and left an abusive relationship. It was tough. She had a WONDERFUL house, and I went back to live in a trailer, but in my heart, I knew I had to get out. On February 22,2006, I smoked my final cigarette. In 2006, I made two main resolutions. One was to quit smoking, and the other was to get published. On August 5, 2006, my first newspaper article was printed in the Zumbrota News Record. I had my first magazine article published in the November issue of LTC: Interface, an industry mag for the long term care industry.

The most amazing aspect of all this is I suffered through major depression during March, April and most of May 2006. In September, I was forced out my job due to bullshit by the manipulator I left in January. In November, I realized that I could no longer keep my this JW crap inside. In December, I confronted a guy at my workplace who was harrassing me sexually, and through all of this bullshit, I didn't smoke. I finally learned how to deal with stress in a productive manner.

So, my greatest achievement was taking my life back from the organizations and belief systems that have enslaved me for many, many years.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Truthfully, I think keeping an open mind even though I was brainwashed early on first by JWs then later on by college professors that want you to believe everything they do. Being skeptical and open minded to me are the hallmarks of true scientific thinking. It's helped me to be tolerant of all kinds of folks that only see their own world view as valid. carmel

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

First of all, congrats Abandoned, very good example and those are some things to be proud of.

Breaking the cycle of child abuse as a parent.

I am with both you and LS on this one. I refused to raise my daughter and then step daughter and son the way I was raised. I am also proud as a parent, period. Just getting up everyday and facing the world in which we live with a measure of sanity and being productive. Reading the Bible several times through and it took leaving the Witnesses to do it. abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit