Elder stopped by yesterday....

by drew sagan 15 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I knew that yesterday was going to be the last chance for us to get a memorial invitation. Me and my wife where just about to walk out of the door to go shopping. I noticed the clock and saw that the meeting had ended about thirty minutes prior so I made the joke 'better get out of here quick before we get a visit'. Less than a few minutes later an Elder pulled up to our house.

I've decided before that if any elders showed up to my house I would make them work for what they want. No way I'm just going to let them walk up to my house at a time convienint for them with no prior arrangements and let them bark a me as long as they please.

So I told my wife just to go in the other room and wait. After a minute of small talk the elder got to the point.

Elder: Well tomarrow night is the memorial and we think it would be good for you and your wife to come. Do you think you will be able to make it?
    Me: No
    Elder: Why not?
    Me: Because I don't want to.

He tried twice to get me and let him in so that he could help me 'clear up' what is keeping me from coming to the hall. I told him if he wants to sit down and talk he can call me up and we can set up a time and that it's not good just to stop by. He said something to the effect of 'well, I don't want to have to make a special trip since i'm in the area right now'. He said he would get back with me on a better time.

I don't think this guy was sent by the local body to visit but just took it upon himself. He has tired to get us a number of times but we where not home. This is the same elder that called my wife around a month or so ago. They had a few minutes of small talk and that was it, he didn't say anything at all about the JWs the WTS or anything related to it. He didn't even say he hoped to see us at the meetings. Nothing, zip, nada.

So that was my amazing memorial visit by the elders, nice to know how hard they 'slave' for Jehovah'.

-Drew, of the 'because i don't want to' class

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

great answer drew, simple to the point.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Me: Because I don't want to

Him: I don't want to have to make a special trip since i'm in the area right now'

lol

If in the hood:

Me: Becauase I don't wanna go MOFO

• JH
    JH

Elder: Well tomarrow night is the memorial and we think it would be good for you and your wife to come. Do you think you will be able to make it?
    Me: No
    Elder: Why not?
    Me: Because you will pest me to go to more meetings after that one. It's a trap....

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    'well, I don't want to have to make a special trip since i'm in the area right now'

Wow, I dont think I would have left that one go without some smartass comment!

The "I dont want to" part still has me laughing.....

• Zico
    Zico

That sounds like the perfect answer Drew.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Good answer and it was TRUTHFUL, funny many times that cant handle the truth, I never get a visit or even a nod when out, just run like &()&*

abr

• TinyDancer124
    TinyDancer124

When my mom tried to get me to go, that's the same answer I gave her. She said, "You don't have any excuses this year." I replied back, "I don't need any excuses. I just don't want to go." Can't really argue with that reasoning.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I would have said " Is Jesus going to be there this year?"

Elder; "yes in spirit I am sure he will be as always"

Me; 'Do you suppose he will let me take communion with him this time?'

That would work too. But I liked your answer, Drew. Good job.

Jeff

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Last year right before I stopped attending all the meetings I was still going just on sundays. An elder who thought he was really clever came up to me and asked me to read at the book study. He thought there was no way that I could tell him no, and that it was a good was to guilt me into coming.

I just looked back and said 'no, i don't want to but thanks'. I could tell he was angry that his elder power proved to be worthless. He mumbled a little bit and then walked away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit