Anyone here drop out of high school pre 1975?

by Threestars 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I was to graduate the class of 1970 and engaged to get married date set for August 1969 so being the rebellious teenager I was I walked into the counselor's office and quit school right before winter break 1968. Never went back to that high school, however when my Dad found out I quit school sometime in January when he came home from work early and I was home (still don't know why my JW Mom didn't tell him I had quit school?) he told me he would not sign for me to get married that Auguest unless I had graduated high school, now 1½ years behind grad date!

Silly me enrolled into Continuation School and finished all of my junior and senior year the day before I got married in August of '69. Silly, silly, silly me! *kicks self*

We were of that generation where the WTS said you must be engaged to be married or no dating, grrrrrrrrrr!

• Threestars
    Threestars
    We were of that generation where the WTS said you must be engaged to be married or no dating,

I remember that! Still that way as far as I know. I used to wonder since in the OT and in the eyes of the borg, an engagement meant about the same as marriage, if you could have sex!

Anyway I ran off as soon as I turned 18--threw myself into the "world" and having had literally NO experience with dating or boys, I soon found myself in with a bad group. I tried to come back about 3 years later due to pressure from Dad, but couldn't stand it and faded away. I, of course, had no college and didn't have the presence of mind or the self-confidence to try much on my own, but I did manage to finish a trade school at age 21. I stayed with that trade till age 35, and then, with 4 kids and a divorce, finally went to JC and University.

I think that the rash of high-school drop outs may have been localized, since almost half the kids in my town quit school in the early 70's to pioneer or whatever. So many wasted lives...

In later years when I complained to my Mom, she, of course, said that the society never told people to drop out of school However, in our cong, all the elders, MSs, and their wives, definitely recommended it.

My siblings all eventually got their GEDs as adults, on their own, after discovering that they couldn't even get a job at Taco Bell without a HS diploma. I can remember my poor brothers at age 16, working like dogs in the hot sun, when they should have been in school, trying to plan for a succussful future, ie an education!

My Mom threw a total tantrum when she found out my Dad had pulled them out of school but the elders told her that he was the "head of the house" and his decision stood. Weeners--all of them!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Threestar..

Your question tugged at my heart.....I was suppose to graduate in 1974, but due to a disfellowshiping event that took my heart away I felt I couldn't continue...not only in school but life itself. I had one class left, (government..... and took it in college.) Yes I have my high school diploma, but to this day my mother laughs, saying I never graduated taking extreme pleasure in the idea that the JW beliefs held out.

I have shown her my diploma several times, infact she drove me to pick it up, but she still refuses to believe I graduated.]

]What a nasty, dirty religion.

r.

I

• rosalyn
    rosalyn

Yup!

1973 after grade eleven with 24 credits.

to graduate you needed 27 at that time

got my grade 12 using summer school and correspondence courses.

I pioneered too. What a good little witness I was.

Haven't the time to read the other posts right now but I bet they are really good. Will get to that tomorrow but I had to put in my 2cents worth this evening.

rosalyn

• pmouse
    pmouse

I finished high school in Jan 1973 when they allowed those who had completed the necessary credits to graduate early. I then proceeded to get married to my JW boyfriend in September of 1973 when I was only 17. My step-father tried to convince me to go to college (he was not a JW) but my mother argued that armageddon was just around the corner and I did not need college...

After one child, and a successful fade in 1976-77, a divorce and remarriage, I went back to school in my late 40's and graduated at the ripe old age of 50 with my bachelor's degree (October of last year). I was so under the control of my mother (who ruled the roost who was under the control of the JW's) that I jumped at the chance to get married to assert my independence.

I basically shot myself in the foot for not allowing my father to assist me financially in going on to college and ended up in a miserable marriage for over ten years to a hypocrit. All is well now, but I really resent what could have been. Someday I'll really vent on this forum, but not now!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I graduated in 1973. I didn't know a thing about the printing corp disguised as a religion - back then. I miss the good old days.

Dismembered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit