Do this in remembrance of me - Memorial thoughts

by AuntieJane 14 Replies latest jw friends

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I live one block from the KH. We were gone last weekend and I was disappointed to see that we'd been visited by the JW's. Actually, they hit both front and back doors of our house.. a double bonus in counting time for some lucky doorknocker! I was disappointed that I could not attack dialogue with them about the pamphlets they left inside our doors.

"We invite you to remember the greatest man who ever lived..." WOW a special invitation. how nice, these people, wanting to tell others about Jesus and spread his word. But wait, the scripture that is quoted, Luke 22:19 says "keep doing this in remembrance of me". What was he referring to? To sum up this gospel, it states that we are to eat the bread and drink the cup just as Jesus did, and do it in remembrance of him.

I don't read where it says that we are to NOT drink the cup and NOT eat the bread unless we are of the annointed. I do not see where it says that we are to only do this once a year at a "memorial". I researched in several bibles and it always says the same "Do this in remembrance of Me."

Please if you are a practicing JW, consider this important message from Jesus and if you choose to go to the memorial this year; have the courage to speak up on the true meaning of these words. Who really was Jesus, is what this pamphlet asks. Well, he was a man who stated the rules pretty simply; he did not need an interpreter from the Watchtower Society to change his words into something else.

Happy Easter to all,

AJ

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

I quite agree how are they going to obey the command of jesus when all the anointed have died off?

The rank and file are actually rejecting our lord by refusing to partake.

A happy Easter to you and may the peace of the Lord be with you.

From Edmond.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Auntie Jane,

"Keep doing this in remembrance of me." We should "have the courage to speak up on the true meaning of these words." Excellent summary of your well-turned commentary! Yes, we are not ashamed to speak of Jesus and of our relationship with him. To think that as members of the so-called other sheep it is sacrilege to even presume partaking and thereby becoming a member of the body. Now past the upheaval of shattered-faith, I am getting a glimmer of what true Christian freedom actually is.
    Thanx for putting this up,

CoCo

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

When I read others post here that they got their Invitation...is this the same that I am referring to? I had thought

the invitations they write about would be personal. I was very surprised to get one, is this normal? I've lived here

20 some years and don't recall getting one before.

I would think they would not want the general public coming to this service; it is so odd to me that JW's sit and refuse the

bread and wine/juice when it is passed. If I was to go to the Memorial, unknowing, I think my shock at passing

the tray and not partaking would be hard to conceal. I would probably stupidly take and eat and take and drink, just as

we are instructed in God's word! duh!

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I don't read where it says that we are to NOT drink the cup and NOT eat the bread unless we are of the annointed. I do not see where it says that we are to only do this once a year at a "memorial". I researched in several bibles and it always says the same "Do this in remembrance of Me."

Please if you are a practicing JW, consider this important message from Jesus and if you choose to go to the memorial this year; have the courage to speak up on the true meaning of these words. Who really was Jesus, is what this pamphlet asks. Well, he was a man who stated the rules pretty simply; he did not need an interpreter from the Watchtower Society to change his words into something else.

Very well put Auntie, that is why I am having one at my house with wine and bread for family and friends.

I too choose to listen to Christ instead of men.

abr

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Hi Auntie Jane, if you went to the memorial, much of the talk is a reminder that you are NOT to eat or drink, so you couldn't really claim that you had no idea. . .unless of course you napped until the passing of the emblems.:) Which I am sure is a frequent response to the boring lectures that JWs receive all year long.

• needproof
    needproof

Of course, Jesus was not the first 'son of God' to ask his followers to do this.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    Of course, Jesus was not the first 'son of God' to ask his followers to do this.

Please explain, you have me puzzelled??? Respectfully, abr

• needproof
    needproof

Well, take a look at Mithras, Horus, Osiris-Dionysus etc. All of these mythological gods came before Christ; and this is how the Christian story was copied. Early Church fathers even admitted it.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs haven't checked out well enough the verses on the other sheep and the great crowd that the WTS uses to stop them from being part of the New Covenant. The JWs are probably the only ones who believe that there are two classes of Christians, the lower one being so inferior so as not to be worthy of the bread and wine. In fact being a Christian and not partaking is a contradiction in terms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit