Do this in remembrance of me - Memorial thoughts

by AuntieJane 14 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Hi Needproof! I don't remember seeing you round here much before, so I will welcome you now! You have gotten a lot of posts in the last 2 months.

Tell me more about the pre-chrisitan gods that did the eating/drinking memorial kind of things, and where the early xian fathers admitted it was (copied/similar/??)like theirs.

Thanks so much, and again-WELCOME

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Needproof, thanks for posting. However, I am not here to instruct those who believe or follow whatever paths they choose. And if Christians copied others, so be it. I would not doubt if what you say is true, I have read comparisons. BUT..

The fact that Christians profess a belief that Jesus taught us to "Do this in remembrance of me" as he broke the bread, passed it, and did the same with the wine...the fact that Christians, who JW's believe they are, by the way....accept this INSTRUCTION of JESUS for what it says, is my point. If JW's consider themselves Christian, they have an odd way of twisting the words of CHRIST himself, just to make their own twisted teachings seem real. All (I suppose I should say MOST) Christians, be it Methodist, Presybterian, Church of God, Catholic...All are taught that Jesus meant we are to do as he did and do it in remembrance of him. What he was doing at the time he said this is breaking bread, sharing, and loving with his friends, even though he would be betrayed. Taking the Bread, which he called My Body, and sharing of it. He was giving us the Example of Love as a rule to follow.

sorry to ramble on,

AJ

• Mad
    Mad

Nice to see such interesting thoughts- instead of the usual insults! It's good to keep in mind that all 'Christian' churches commerate Jesus' death & resurrection- in many ways, based on their understanding & custom! Wether you believe Jesus to be God, or the Son of God, wether you do it weekly, monthly or yearly- even using wafers & colored water, wether you eat & drink what's at the occaision or not- as long as it isn't this, I'm sure our Lord will appreciate we are REMEMBERING what he went thru- and what it accomplished!

• needproof
    needproof

Hi JW daughter and Auntie Jane,

thanks for asking about my comments,

I used to be a believer in the story of Jesus Christ myself, obviously as a Witness and then in the aftermath of the Witnesses when I tried to make my own way. I heard many wonderful stories about how I could get to know Jesus personally and what not, and I seriously considered myself a Christian for a period of time.

But now getting to the crux of the matter, I figured that if I checked out the Witnesses, why should my investigations stop there - if men were capable of lying, then what makes the scriptures immune to that fault?

So I starting reading material concerning the supposed existence of Jesus - books such as The Jesus Mysteries, That Old Time Religion and Suns of God: Krishna, Buddha and Christ Unveiled - all books which discuss the fact that the Jesus story has been played out many, many times before the 'arrival' of Jesus. This all seemed pretty far fetched to me, but the evidence is in black and white. According to one author, Jesus and all those before him, such as Horus, Osiris, Mithra, Dionysus etc, were all based on sun worship - this is why each one of these sons of God are considered our 'risen savior', 'the light of the world'. The Bible itself leaves us clues to this, when in malachi 4:2 it reads:

"But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall."

Whether it is all based on sun worship or not, that is something which comes into it a bit later in research. Right now, it is important to realize that Christianity is nothing new under the sun. There is so much I could add here, I wish to add it all to a website anyway. I'll just show you some similarities between as an example Horus the Egyptian and Christ (of course Horus came before Christ):

Horus was born of the virgin Isis-Meri on December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.

His earthly father was named "Seb" ("Joseph"). Seb is also known as "Geb": "As Horus the Elder he...was believed to be the son of Geb and Nut." Lewis Spence, Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends, 84.

He was of royal descent.

At age 12, he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized, having disappeared for 18 years.

Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus or Iarutana (Jordan) by "Anup the Baptizer" ("John the Baptist"), who was decapitated.

He had 12 disciples, two of whom were his "witnesses" and were named "Anup" and "Aan" (the two "Johns").

He performed miracles, exorcised demons and raised El-Azarus ("El-Osiris"), from the dead.

Horus walked on water.

His personal epithet was "Iusa," the "ever-becoming son" of "Ptah," the "Father." He was thus called "Holy Child."

He delivered a "Sermon on the Mount" and his followers recounted the "Sayings of Iusa."

Horus was transfigured on the Mount.

He was crucified between two thieves, buried for three days in a tomb, and resurrected.

He was also the "Way, the Truth, the Light," "Messiah," "God's Anointed Son," the "Son of Man," the "Good Shepherd," the "Lamb of God," the "Word made flesh," the "Word of Truth," etc.

He was "the Fisher" and was associated with the Fish ("Ichthys"), Lamb and Lion.

He came to fulfill the Law.

Horus was called "the KRST," or "Anointed One."

Like Jesus, "Horus was supposed to reign one thousand years."

And as regards early Church fathers admitting such, we read from church father Tertullian that the 'devil had copied the story of Jesus' before he arrived, is some kind of 'crafty act'... and this, so far, is the only argument I have heard from Christian's against the facts:

"The devil, whose business is to pervert the truth, mimics the exact circumstances of the Divine Sacraments. He baptises his believers and promises forgiveness of sins from the Sacred Fount, and thereby initiates them into the religion of Mithras. Thus he celebrates the oblation of bread and brings in the symbol of the resurrection. Let us, therefore, acknowledge the craftiness of the devil who copies certain things of those that be Divine".

• penny2
    penny2
    I was very surprised to get one, is this normal?

This year everyone has been invited to the memorial (ie all members of the public). There has been a campaign going for about the last month handing out these invitations. I think it's a bit strange too. My family explained that it's to reach those who have "slipped through the cracks", ie have associated in the past but no-one remembers them. It's the last chance to "come back in before the end." Haven't we heard that before?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit