Have you let go of waiting for Armageddon?

by Fisherman 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I live the best I can, according to my own code of ethics. My own self respect is what's important, because without that everything else is meaningless. God's approval or my surviving "armageddon" isn't worth much if I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror. I stopped giving a damn about "armageddon" long before I quit the JWs.

W

• Perry
    Perry

Oh yeah. They put that phobia on me since birth. I grew up in the Paradise book era.... Dozens of murders by God on people in that book.

I now know that its just a big war of nations against each other and after they blow the crap out of each other, Jesus returns and establishes peace and his Thousand Year Rule.

God's enemies always paint him to be the bad guy. :-(

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I let go of God, the Bible and anything said in it so yes I let go of Armageddon. I no longer believe in the Devil either or the boogieman or angles or the tooth fairy.

I'm still thinking about that Santa guy though at least he brings me presents!

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

For a while after I became inactive I still feared the "big A", but I don't believe armageddon will happen anymore. Waiting on God to make things better is a waste of time.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

For me, to dismiss and let go of the belief of Armageddon means rejecting God and rejecting the Bible. I am not able to do that because I have concluded that God is a reality and that the Bible is a book worth considering, even a book of prophecy and maybe even the product of God's Holy spirit. I am unable to disprvoe that but I have personal evidence in support. I have a broader way of looking at things now, not restricted to wts views.

According to my previous post, I too now am unable to accept the destruction of billions, hence what the bible means about armagddon nust take on a diffeent meaning than what the bible seems to mean, however I do not know with certainty. But I do not worry about getting killed. I think in terms that Armageddon is a time when God battles agains spirit forces and rescues mankind. I also am inclined to think that in the long scheme of things ALL creatures will be redeemed even the wicked spirits and evil humans will be reconciled to God.

At the same time, I really dont know for sure, but wts doctrine is deeply rooted and I am unable to let go of such beliefs

I cannot let go believing in the wts Armageddon and I cannot let go believing in an Armageddon where God intervenes.

• steve2
    steve2

Be brave and follow these instructions:

• Give up all fairy stories including Armageddon (unless you find it comforting)
    • Stop looking for absolute answers to your questions (or, at least be prepared to close your mind to the 101 absolute answers that contradict your version of truth)
    • Grow up and become an adult and realise religion is primarily a speculative pass time for children too scared to grow up
    • Take responsibility for your life and l ive fully in the present moment
  • gillyballer1980
    gillyballer1980

Miracles still happen everyday, and how would you describe armageddon? Because most definitions are off. Is there going to be a judgement..yes there is. God intervenes on our behalf all the time, but we just will not notice it. But in the last days there will be no intervention because time will have run out.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It has been a long time since I believed in the whole Armageddon - new world thing. I believed with absolute certainty. There were many things about the Armageddon concept, however, that did not make sense. But becuase I believed so deeply, I discounted these questions.

Unfortunatally, treating this life as a prelude to a "real life" some where in the future sucks you life away until there is nothing left. I lost half my life and am trying to get it back.

I a happy not to believe in Armageddon. I feel that I have more respect for life now than I ever did as a believing witness..

• moshe
    moshe

I'm with Steve2 on this one.- and-

But at some point he will intervene in order to fulfill his purpose. My hope, and prayer is that I can just be around to see that divine action. That would be wonderful.

The problem is that mankind has created in their mind a purpose and reason for God to intervene, when no such reason actually exists. We have plenty of evidence to show that God does not step in and stop mass extinction events, or even say "look out for that tsunami, everyone!" ,10 minutes before it kills 250,000 people. The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle gives me confidence that God can't know the future or even what any individual is going to do in the next minute, read your mind or pick out and save only JW's out of billions of people to be destroyed at Armageddon. News stories of JW pedophiles molesting kids for 20+ years seems to show that Jehovah does not care if a pedophile is an elder in the KH, either . - or he does care but can't do anything about it- take your pick.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I was thinking that one of the ideas that alienates the JWs from the rest of the world is that they will not die, that's something that no one else believes. Everyone else know they will die one day. Believing in this immortality is something that distorts one's correct perception of human reality in general. It is an insidious poison.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit