Have you let go of waiting for Armageddon?

by Fisherman 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Although, after experiencing many disappointments and failed dates, I cannot let go and I cannot dismiss the expectation that God will intervene somehow. I still hold on, hoping that maybe I will not experience sheol and neither will some of my loved ones. How about you?

• blondie
    blondie

I let go of Armageddon in my lifetime long ago. I figured that Abraham did not see the fulfillment of the promise made to him in his lifetime. The early Christians knew they had to die to get their reward. JWs who believe that they will never die have been fooled by the WTS. As I read the Bible, God promises to give you your life back if you should die, there is no promise that you will never die.

Now as an ex-JW, I cannot imagine that a loving god is going to kill the children of non-JWs just because these children happened to be born at the wrong time, and not just die, die eternally...

Blondie

• Arthur
    Arthur

For the most part, I too have let go of Armageddon. However, there are still lingering fears and thoughts which are left over in my mind from Watchtower indoctrination. Such fears tend to decrease with the passage of time.

I think that one of the most effective ways of eliminating this indoctrination that we have is to read the works of other ex-Witnesses. Raymond Franz's two books have had a major impact on my recovery. They have helped me to see how the Organization's supposed power is really mythical; much like the little old man who sat behind the curtain in the movie "The Wizard of Oz".

His books have helped me to truly see how far the Watchtower organization has strayed off course. The organization has little in common with first century Christianity. In reality; is a morbid hybrid of nineteenth century Adventism, first century Judaism, and multi-level marketing.

The supreme power of the universe would truly have no need to employ weak-minded authoritarian tactics, psychological manipulation, and mind-control. These are the characteristics of political regimes; not Godly ones.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Blondie, I feel the same way you do regarding killing children and adults too by a loving God that recieved payment for such lives. There is a dilema. One the one hand, the Bible is wriiten in foreign languages. I know various languages, and I understand how difficult it is to translate idiomatic expressions and even some plain expressions have no equivalent translation even though one can interpret suchexpressions and explain, but what is so difficult about understanding the Bible, (and I know the Bible, not only from a jw perspective but also from jewish and objective viewpoints) is that the Bible hardly says what it means. The Bible, I think, is a poetic, ironic, riddle and puzzzle and there is even room for not interpreting the Bible as rules for Christians and contemporary people of the non Bible era. Hence, in my opinion one cannot be absolutely certain about any seemed Bible teaching. On the other hand, the Bible has a common thread through each book tying everything together, making the student conclude emotionally and rationally, if you know what I mean, that the Bible will be fulfilled and the the past events did happen.

Wt logic though about Adam and Eve and living forever on earth if not for sin makes sense to me. Blondie, if the reward is after death, then why does the Bible not clearly say so? It also makes sense to me that God created humans to live and not to die. Killing people eternally, or frying them eternally doesnt make sense to me either. To me, it is a dilema. The Bible makes sense and the Bible does not make sense.

• JPT
    JPT

I look at it this way;
    I do believe there is a creator, Jehovah, but it has been approximately 2000 yrs since God has intervened in mankind’s affairs. When was the last time you actually saw a miracle? But at some point he will intervene in order to fulfill his purpose. My hope, and prayer is that I can just be around to see that divine action. That would be wonderful.

JT

• choosing life
    choosing life

I've let go of waiting for Armageddon. I agree with Blondie that God has promised us everlasting life. It really doesn't matter to me when or even where. I am willing to leave the details up to him.

I think they are anyway.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Arma..what?

Dont know what you are talking about lol.

Yeah like Blondie I gave up such short termism a long time ago...it still crosses my mind every so often which is natural given how heavily we were indoctrinated but as quick as it enters my mind, its quick to be dismissed as irrelevant too.

Takes some time though!

Gary

• Gill
    Gill

Absolutely yes!

My parents still keep the boot of their car full of food and supplies however, just in case they have 'flee to the mountains!'

• Clam
    Clam

Brother Fisherman. If you believe in an all loving creator, surely you don't accept that he's going to murder 6 billion people and then leave behind the JWs? If that's the case then I'd rather take eternal oblivion.

Shortly within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern anti type of Jerusalem, Christendom. The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah - How? 1971 p. 216

It's comic book stuff and it's a pile of crap.

• BFD
    BFD

I am new to the truth about the truth so the thought is still with me. But, I am trying my best to have a more positive outlook on life. It will take time. My conscience mind accepts the fact that there is no armeggedon looming, my sub-conscience is still toying with the idea because every once and a while I have "doubts".

I will recover.

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit