New Corporate Smoking Policy - Need some suggestions.

by El Kabong 29 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Besides, health nuts are going to feel kind of stupid laying in a hospital dying of nothing. You may think you are going to live forever but statistics say otherwise.

They're going to start making us ride bikes to work (if you can't afford a smart car) to cut down on exhaust fumes and to stop "Global Warming".

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Please don't be mad my fellow board posters who are smokers,

but,

As humans we are entitled to at least one unhealthy guilty pleasure. For one person it may be eating a whole container of Bon Bons and for another it may be a cig. None of us should be throwing stones because we all live in glass houses.

If one of my fellow workers goes on break, eats a whole container of Bon Bons, and comes back to work, I won't mind their reek. Why? Because they won't reek. It won't give me a headache or in any other way impact me at work. If a fellow worker goes out for a smoke break, they wil come back reeking, and I and everybody else has to live with it.

This may be one reason why there are complete bans on smoking on company property - even if it is in private cars in the company parking lot. It is actually worse if you confine the smokers when they smoke - it concentrates the reek and they bring it back in. Maybe or maybe not that isn't the reason for the complete ban, but it does deal with that particular problem. I don't think that smokers actually realize how much they stink at work and how disruptive this is to others. The nose doesn't work right if you are a smoker. Factor in the long and extra breaks that I have always seen all smokers take, and it affects the bottom line eventually.

No offense intended, but just the honest truth. Don't shoot me, OK? Can we still be friends?

• BrentR
    BrentR

That is opening a big old can of worms when you consider how many people stink and all of the reasons why. What forms of stink are OK and which ones are not? Where do you draw the line?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Nurses Forum on smoking pro and con responses. http://allnurses.com/forums/f8/no-smoking-policies-190258.html I think that it will come up for you.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Little Drummer Boy: BANG!!!!!! (Sorry...just kidding).......Actually, you are correct. When I quit smoking in 2000, I could tell who was a smoker right away. I could smell when someone came back from a smoke break an office away. Ugh.....But, since I started smoking again (I know....dumb move), I can no longer smell the other smokers. I wish I never went back to smoking....but perhaps being on this committee will give me more encouragement to quit......Thank you all for your help and replies....

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Canada bans perfume - Chemical Sensitivity

"Aromatic chemicals are poisoning people and the planet as much as tobacco or pesticides," said Karen Robinson, an anti-scent campaigner who compares the fight against fragrances to writer Rachel Carson's celebrated early warnings about the effects of DDT, a powerful insecticide now restricted by law. "We don't want a 'Silent Spring' brought by cosmetics in Halifax. We've even got scent-free doughnut shops."

Meanwhile, students have been suspended from class for wearing hair gel and other scented goo (one nearly landed in jail for "assaulting" his teacher's olfactory senses); an 84-year-old woman was booted out of City Hall for wafting her customary cologne while making a civic inquiry; and another woman was ordered off a city bus for smelling too sweet.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/fume27.shtml

When I was in nursing school, I was told not to wear perfume because it could make many people ill or nauseous. I gave up wearing perfume and made sure that my deodorant was odor free. That didn't stop the hospital from using strong chemicals to clean and wax the floors. We had a nurse that was so sensitive to it that her airway would react immediately. And not to speak about, the smells that nurse's have to deal with from the patients! A cigarette would smell much better! After cleaning up poop, puke, blood, rotten wounds, and the like - I need a cigarette! For my damn nerves!

I tell you that they are just singling us out!

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    BrentR That is opening a big old can of worms when you consider how many people stink and all of the reasons why. What forms of stink are OK and which ones are not? Where do you draw the line?

Very true, but most every company has policies for dealing with personal hygene, what managers should do about, etc. It is never easy to explain to an employee that they have a body odor that is offensive or bad breath, etc. But it is something that managers and HR people do deal with so that other employees are kept productive and so that customers are not driven away. El Kabong - OH he shot me! Heh. ;) MsMcDucket - Now you're just bein' onery. Cleaning chemicals smell because....well they are usually strong chemicals and chemicals smell. Can't help that. Floor wax (actually, floor finish - they haven't been waxes for years and years) smells because....well once again, it has chemicals (specifically amonias) that need to be there to evaporate so the finish can be applied. We fix what we can and live with the rest. The perfume ban is a great idea though. Many, many people just bathe in the stuff.

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

El Kabong: I as a smoker am curious as to the company's justification for this new policy, as I am sure any tobacco users who work for them will be, too. You might want to start by explaining to them WHY the company implemented this policy...will it let the employees get a cheaper rate on their insurance? Doubt that, since it's unlikely most will quit at home too. I've never gone further in management than low-levels of a dozen employees or so, but one thing I've learned is that new stuff has to be explained to people in some way, even if all you do is say "sorry, I have no idea why, I'm just the scapegoat who has to tell you".

I've heard the productivity arguement before, and quite frankly I think it's BS. There are lazy smokers and lazy non-smokers, the lazy smokers would be taking 15 minute breaks whether they were a smoker or not, if they weren't smokers they'd just need some other justification (I've known many non-smokers who took 15-20 minute "bathroom breaks"). One thing that really sticks in my craw over the years is when I work my tail off and deny myself a break until I'm done, then I stop and light up a smoke, only to have some stupidvisor come along and ask why I'm not working (especially if the no-good I was working with, who only did about 1/4 of the work, suddenly acts busy when the stupidvisor comes along, and takes all the credit...).

Now, there are some situations when I agree that it's fully acceptable to regulate such things...if you work around gas tanks, or computer equipment; something sensitive to temperature or contaminants, then of course it makes sense...but for a company to arbitrarily make such a decision rubs me the wrong way. It also seems strange to me that they want to ban ALL tobacco products...I can't really understand what hazard snuff or anything of the sort could present to anything, although I have certainly had my fair share of disagreements with coworkers who thought the whole world was their spitoon in the case of dip users. There's nothing worse than working in construction or some maintenance industry, and laying down on the floor or ground to better reach an access panel or something, only to discover you've laid in a spot some schmuck's been spitting in for months.

"What is so very twisted is that all of these companies will still allow obesity which is every bit as dangerous to your health as smoking is. It's OK to demonize smokers becuase there are not very many of them but try going after obese people and see what happens.

How soon will it be before businesses will be going transfat free. You can have a cheeseburger but you will have to eat it across the street." - BrentR

Have no fear, Big Brother is already on that situation, no need for individual companies to regulate it, NY city was the first to ban transfat completely (ban actually begins in July I believe, but has already been enacted into law) with many others probably to follow soon.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-12-04-trans-fat-ban_x.htm

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I would suggest a gradual implementation policy. I think it might be too late but if you could it would be good. Also would corporate respond to a patch plan? Stop smoking counseling?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    So, lucky me, has been given the task by corporate to find out ways to communicate and enforce this new policy, as well as come up with some suggestions on alternates to tobacco use while at work.

don't do it. unless you want to be made fun of.

So, I'm asking if anybody has any suggestions that can be used to curtail smoking while at work, and offer any suggestions on alternatives to tobacco use. Also, I'm wondering if anybody else has a similar policy at their place of employment.

well, since cigarettes are as addictive as heroin, the only alternative that i can think of is:

MARIJUANA CIGARETTES

...that's right folks. REEFER!! if you can use it to kick heroin, you can use it to kick tobacco.

and the citizens of the big, smiling, happy, facist, corporation can all smile at each other and bring lots of snacks to work from now on.

"cool man, you ready for that meeting wit da big boss?"

"ya man, i have my emails printed off here. hey man, like, what time is it?"

"oh dude, check it out! it's 4:20! looks like we're gonna be a few minutes late for that meeting."

"heh, ya, but who cares, right?"

"ya man, who cares. plus, i have twinkies!"

tetra

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit