Your Least Favorite "Special" JW Event

by Nosferatu 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Zico
    Zico

My favourite was always the Special Assembly Day. It's not that long, finishes about 4 so doesn't take up your whole day, and it gets you out of Saturday service and gives you a free day Sunday, and another free evening! Free days are rare in the WT religion. The worst meeting is the Memorial, so cold, un-feeling and dull. But I don't know about least favourite because it's very short, and gets you out of the TMS/Service meeting which is over double the length. I guess it would have to be the Convention since it's the longest. Though I used to enjoy the lunch breaks.

• jinjam
    jinjam

all of them! i must admit the memorial was shorter, so that wasn't too bad. The special talk i always felt that something important was coming, however it was always the same nonsense, and the assemblies where always long and i would work out my time to go to the loo just to get away a little.

• bubble
    bubble

I always hated the "Special Talk". It was always the same boring drivel we had to listen to during the other 51 public talks of the year.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

My least favorite in order:

1. The Circuit Overseer's Visit

2. The Special Talk

3. The District Convention

4. The 2 Day Circuit Assembly (remember when it started Friday night and ended Sunday night?)

The Memorial was ok if it landed on a meeting night. Generally the memorial was 45 minutes versus at least an hour for the other meetings. However, you always had those over zealous congregations that rescheduled the regular meetings.

Speaking of boring memorials, do you remember about 15 - 20 years ago they gave the memorial talk and after it ended someone else got up and talked for another 20 minutes. I am still mad about that.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

You can get out of most all of them just tell them you are incontinent!!!!1

• kifoy
    kifoy

lost_light06:
    «Then passing around a couple crackers and some wine.....And you don't even get to eat or drink it!»

In my old cong. the baking of the bread was done by turns (is that the right idiom?), so when it was us who made the bread we also got to bring it back home (no anoy(nt)ed people at our place) -- and eat it there. Quite good actually.

The most boring "special event" was the "special" talk. Because it was nothing special about it.

The one I liked the most, I think, was the CO's visit. Because they often stayed at our place, and they were often really fun people. I did not like the increasing amount of time in FS that week, though.

kifoy

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Family Reunions and JW funeral services come to mind straight away, followed by the days-long assemblies. What a drag!

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

The 3 (sometimes more) day District Convention --Hated frying like a french fry all day in the heat only to hear the same thing over and over again and it would show up next year in the WT study articles

The 2 Day Circuit Assembly--Another waste of time, trying to say this was a anti-typical of the festivals, read the Bible and it says that youwere not to do this, let no one judge you on certain days or festivals, they all passed away with the death of Christ, they do the exact opposite of what we are suppose to do

The 1 Day Special Assembly Day--Another waste of time, I got to the point I wouldn't even go anymore to this,
    The Memorial--The only event that I KNOW that we are suppose to do and enjoyed it immensely, I am having my own this year with family and friends,

The Special Talk--What is so special about it

The Circuit Overseer's Visit--Watch everyone show up and think this man is somebody, fear of men more than fear of God, again taking care of someone who should be taking care of himself and his wife instead of living off others 1 Tim 5:8

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

The 3 (sometimes more) day District Convention
    The 2 Day Circuit Assembly
    The 1 Day Special Assembly Day
    The Memorial
    The Special Talk
    The Circuit Overseer's Visit

Which event did you hate the most?

I hated them all! I never should of gotten baptized. I don't know why I did?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Sometimes, you need to listen to your body. I, always, had panic attacks at the meetings! Total hell. I don't know why I put myself through that! What was I thinking? Sitting at the meetings 9 months pregnant with twins! I hated it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit