Lexapro

by cruzanheart 22 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Does anybody take this stuff? I took my first pill today and have decided I'd rather be depressed. What a horrible day! I was nauseous, dizzy, achy, grouchy (more than normal), foggy-headed and anxious. And I yawned all day, when I wasn't trying to restrain a belch. And I have a headache.

Once upon a time I was on Effexor and that didn't affect me the way this stuff does. At first I thought I'd stick it out for a week and see if it helps, but now I'm thinking that this is my LAST pill and I'll find something else.

Bleah.

Nina

• wednesday
    wednesday

nina,

There are so many different kinds to take .Have you taken any before that were successful? Some increase the serotonin and some increase the norepinephrine , and some do both. It would depend on the type of depression you had. remember it is called a "medical practice" . weds

most times a med can be found but sometimes one must go through several to find the right one other time you strike it lucky the first time. some meds will make you feel bad for a few days. Call the MD and let him know, and he can advise. usaully the most common reactions are excessive sleeping, fatigue, dry muth, weight gain. They slow down and and or go away after a while.

There is a med called wellburtin, it stimulates and does not cause weight gain . it works on the norepiephrine system. The average person who isdepressed needs the serotonin, but the person who leans toward bipolar needs the other.

check out this site,

crazymeds.org

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

(((Nina)))

What a horrible day! I was nauseous, dizzy, achy, grouchy (more than normal), foggy-headed and anxious. And I yawned all day, when I wasn't trying to restrain a belch. And I have a headache.

Once upon a time I was on Effexor and that didn't affect me the way this stuff does. At first I thought I'd stick it out for a week and see if it helps, but now I'm thinking that this is my LAST pill and I'll find something else.

Sorry you're having such a terrible problem with it. I didn't know what the heck it was or what it is for so I did a google search. I'm sure you already know most of the information about it but just incase you don't here is a link:

http://www.lexapro.com/english/faq/currently_taking.aspx#q02

Seems there is an adjustment time frame for your body to get used to it, I would try giving it more time, but please let your Doctor know tomorrow the symptoms you've had. Hope you're back to your grouchy (less than normal) self soon!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Oh, Nina! I know what you mean, chere! I don't, nor have I ever had to take lexapro, but the doc told me I should adjust to my meds for the bipolar disorder within about a month. I took it for TWO MONTHs and was STILL yawning constantly, sleeping most of the time and trying to eat everything that wasn't nailed down. I quit taking it because I figure I'm not around anyone except CP and my "up" cycles enable me to get a lot done and I don't have to report to anyone, and if I sleep a lot during my "down" times, it doesn't matter.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I haven't been put on Lexapro, but I've been put on many others. I'm very sensitive to meds, so they have to start me out on a child's dose. How much are you taking? I've, recently, had a relapse of depression. The doctor took me off Zoloft and started me on Cymbalta. All I did was sleep and eat (like a damn bear). I weaned myself off of it. I got a whole bottle if someone wants it. The Cymbalta is expensive, even if you have insurance!

My dermatologist started me on some antibiotics for my skin condition, and he gave me a small dose of Doxepin for the itching. Doxepin is a tricyclic antidepressant. It may be the one that I need for the depression. When I go in to see him in a couple of weeks, I'll ask him if he'll increase the dose. I didn't even tell my shrink that I'd stopped the Cymbalta.

Back to you, try something else and start at the minimal dose. IMHO

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

I've been taking it for 3 years and it really seems to help me. I haven't had any problems with it. Drugs affect everyone differently and maybe this one is not right for you.

• blondie
    blondie

Most antidepressants take about 4 weeks to become effective. Unfortunately, the side effects usually start right away. I'd check about when the therapeutic range is supposed to kick in and check with your pharmacist and/or doctor.

Blondie

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have been taking Lexapro for 1.5 years. It does take a bit of time to get used to. Right now I would not be off of it for anything. Recently the doctor gave me Welbutrin to take along with the Lexapro. Which is supposed to give more energy.

Oddly enough, when I first started to take Lexapro it was prescribed by a weight loss doctor to take along with adapex as the Lexapro is supposed to make the adapex's results last from originally about 3 months to 10/11 months.

Hang in there, it takes some time for an anti-depressant to work. And also the dosage has to be right as well and this takes time and a bit of experimenting. A few questions from a good doctor and they can tell if your need more or less or something else.

purps

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Call your doctor and let him know, you should probably go back on the Effexor. Don't keep taking it

nj

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Thanks, everyone. Somewhere around 4:00 a.m. I decided that this one is NOT for me. I couldn't face the thought of feeling this way for a week while I'm waiting for the benefits to kick in. I'll call my doctor today.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit