The GB and Field Service Activity

by karnage 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• karnage
    karnage

I was thinking... does the members of the Governing Body participate in field service? If these are men who are to take their place in heaven with Jesus Christ, then shouldn't they be the ones fearlessly leading the charge?

When Jesus was here on earth, his disciples went on to preach about him long after Jesus had died. They've spent countless hours in preaching to everyone far and wide. So, shouldn't their example be one for all of the Anointed to follow? What excuse could the GB give to justify their not going from door-to-door on a daily basis?

Just wondering.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

according to Ray Franz "Their Schedules are so busy they do not have room for it"

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I would like to hear one of the reg. publishers say that.

• blondie
    blondie

Some are fairly visible going out with others in their congregations on the weekends. Some are less visible but do "turn in time." They are much like the elders in your last congregation. Didn't you see some out all the time and others seemed to be rarely seen or only went with certain people? Bethelites are not allowed to even auxiliary pioneer but are "encouraged" to concentrate on their "real" full-time service at Bethel. If you lived out near the 3 Bethel sites, Brooklyn, Wallkill, and Patterson and attended a congregation with Bethelites assigned, you would notice that they miss a lot of meetings and don't show up for Saturday am field servic very often. Male Bethelites get only 1 Saturday am off each month and don't get a second until they are 50. Women usually have all Saturdays off by the time they reach 40 but many don't like going out without their husbands so stay at home at Bethel.

• blondie
    blondie

As to their schedules

Monday through Friday 8 to 5; Saturday mornings 3 out of 4 Saturdays--work day

Monday through Friday 5 to 6--fit in dinner somehow

Bethel family night--every Monday--1 hour, new Bethelites tack on another 1 for New Boy School

Book study and travel--one night each week (travel can be anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes round trip--60 minutes one way for those who volunteer for the congregations on the fringe)

School/Service meeting and travel and any elders meetings--one night each week (travel can be anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes round trip--60 minutes one way for those who volunteer for the congregations on the fringe of the driving range)

Sunday--Public talk/WT study (see travel time and any elders meetings)

Add in traveling to give talks at conventions/assemblies.

GB are basically elders who are also Bethelites with extra responsibilities. I found that many Bethelites missed meetings when their work schedule got busy. It is not like it is in the congregations where the brothers and sisters are told that their "secular" jobs come second. Their "jobs" at Bethel come before the meetings and even field service.

Is that fair? Probably not.

Blondie

• karnage
    karnage

Blondie, I always enjoy reading your comments. They are so well thought out and researched. I remember you saying that you used to be at one of the Watchtower locations for awhile. It amazes me even to this very day as to how everything with the Watchtower Society is do as I say... not as I do.

I just find it interesting as how it is constantly talked about in congregations about going from door-to-door, yet, the society cannot follow their own rule. Even the GB find a way to exclude themselves from this activity.

• Zico
    Zico

Can you imagine Teddy Jaracz ringing your door bell?

I think I'd hurt him... :(

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

We had Bethelites in our congregation and I heard thru the (credible) grapevine that the CO counselled them about missing meetings. *lol*

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I do not think many would deny that the Bethelites work hard. I would not like their schedules. However, if the preaching work is the most important activity ,then it should be the most important activity across the board. Imagine if I said to the elders " I am not going out on the ministry today, I am going shepherding/building/visiting an elderly sister / comforting a depressed soul etc. There should not be an "us" and "them"

• blondie
    blondie

Many of the Bethelites I knew were astonished as to how little time they had to "go in field service." Some I knew tried to spend quite a bit of time doing so and even some of the GB. I remember some young guys trying to unofficially put in auxiliary hours because they actually liked talking to people. That meant really organizing their time to go out on non-meeting nights and driving and staying with people in the congregation from Saturday noon through late Sunday evening. But they were told that their energy went to Bethel first. The WTS considers their time full-time service even though it doesn't go down on a time slip.

I knew local JWs that thought it was unfair that they got stuck with the bulk of the "preaching" and congregation duties.

Some Bethelites took advantage of the situation to miss meetings (wives who could drive to the shopping malls without their hubbie but could not drive to the meetings by themselves).

Why is it a surprise that the WTS has rules for some but not for others. It is the basis of their whole organization which is why is it not based on the bible principles they say it is.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit