smoking is spiritism

by badboy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

After quitting the meetings, I wanted to try different things that had been forbidden. Last year, I bought my first pack of menthol Virginia Lights and had my first cigarette. It tasted pretty good, but aside for a little feeling in my stomache that tickled a little bit, I didn't feel anything. I smoked 15 of them last summer over a span of two months. I'll have one when I am in the mood for the taste of one if it is warm outside, but I don't think I can actually get addicted to anything. I tried pot a few times when doing so could have gotten me in a whole mess of trouble, but no addiction. I drink on occassion but I'm not addicted to that, either. Has anyone ever heard of someone who can't get addicted, or is it just that my taste for that stuff is limited so I don't do it enough to get addicted?

Smoking and spiritism? Sex was used in some spiritism as well as dancing. Marraige leads to sex. Marraige can make one demonized:)

Chenoa:)

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/131389/1.ashx

I refer you to the greater devastation that comes from such ridiculous assertions.

Jeff

• choosing life
    choosing life

The term they use for practice of spiritism or druggery also could be applied to today's medications that we pick up at the pharmacy. Notice the similarity in words.

The difference is that they used natural substances long ago, as in plants, and today they use both natural and synthetic substances. Healing was also contributed to their gods and would therefore have a religious connection. Of course, they still use plants in the preparation of some medications. They use opium poppies and marijuana.

Is this spiritism? Apparently not, if prescribed by a physician. Smoking is not good for your lungs, but I don't know of anyone who smokes who does it to practice spiritism.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

White Dove - honey it can take time to get addicted. Admittedly I don;t think the menthol's are very strong. But i did just like you when I was 16 and yes for a year or two I could take it or leave it or so I thought. I said I'd stop when I was 21, then 22, then 23 - you get the picture. Now I smoke once a month which still isn;t really good enough and I shouldnt be smoking at all, but I havent quite cracked it for longer than 6 months at a time. I used to think I couldnt get addicted either but it was my perception of addiction that was incorrect. J dubs make it sound like one snort of coke, one puff of gear, one dab of speed and you are a druggie hooked for life. Thats not true for most. It takes making it a repeated practice every now and again before you become addicted to most of these things in my experience. (I am using these as examples - I have never been addicted to any of them.) Mental addictions can be much more powerful than physical addiction.

AND you know whats most addictive - I think someone already said it before - THIS BOARD! LOL! Although generally there are no nasty side effects - the side effects are making new friends, learning how to become free of mental chains, and learning to be a whole person often for the first time - capable of making your own decisions and your own moral code.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Has anyone ever heard of someone who can't get addicted, or is it just that my taste for that stuff is limited so I don't do it enough to get addicted?

Do you drink coffe every day? Do you drink caffinated soda everyday. Do you do something everyday. That might be your addiction. Do you pray everyday? Do you bite your nails? Do you go to work everyday? Did you or do you go to the kingdom hall 3 or more times a week. Is your weight proportinate to your height? Do you go to church every week? Do you watch tv every day?

If none of the above applies to you, maybe you cant get addicted to anything.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was addicted to Little Debbie Nutty Bars for the longest time...mmm...when I realized that was the source of an extra 15 lbs! Oh, and then there's Tuna Helper (creamy noodles and add extra peas:)...mmm...10 more lbs...oops! Ok, yes, I can get addicted:) Actually, I meant that it seems that I can't get physically addicted to anything. Like, I have never had any bad side effects from dropping it for a while. I never considered the psychological addictions. Those are more sneaky, I think. I am sure that there is at least one thing for everyone to get addicted to. I know! I just have to experiment around a bit more! Hahahahaha! Just kidding. No, I would never press luck and be so stupid...I hope.

Chenoa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit