smoking is spiritism

by badboy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I UNDERSTAND THAT THE ABOVE QUOTE WAS IN A WT MAGAZINE.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I think it was actually the Live Forever book, but no matter.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Well, there we go.............no wonder I have ghosts!!!!! Is it the more you smoke, the more you get? lmao

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

A shining example of the etymology fallacy.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Is it the more you smoke, the more you get? lmao

Thats about it yes! If you go to the Insight on the Scriptures under Spiritism and Malboro Lites you'll see that any excess over a pack a day leads not only to a raunchy voice but also to Phantasms in the Basement area>

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

In one of my three JCs, one of the charges was my smoking. One of the elders, a burned out hippie, that finished wood floors in Santa Fe, and was nearly stoned out of his mind all the time from all the fumes he inhaled, advised me that smoking allowed the consciious mind to move into an altered state, and that is a realm for demons to enter in. I looked at him, and almost asked about the fumes from the chemicals he and his son inhaled for years, but I figured that was the wrong battle to fight.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

*** g86 4/8 p. 9 Facing the Facts: Tobacco Today ***

Christians find the moral and Scriptural objections to tobacco use to be of even more weight than medical or health warnings. Tobacco use originated with animism, spiritism, and worship of man-made gods—all condemned in the Bible as degrading practices that lead one away from the Creator. (See box, “The Sacred Leaf That Caught On,” page 4.) (Romans 1:23-25) Smoking is unclean, dangerous, and contrary to Christian standards. (2 Corinthians 7:1) More importantly, addictiveness brings the habit within the scope of “druggery”—a condemnatory term used in the Bible for spiritually damaging and superstitious practices.—See the Reference Bible footnote on Revelation 21:8; 22:15.

*** g86 4/8 p. 4 The Sacred Leaf That Caught On ***

The Sacred Leaf That Caught On

For three centuries tobacco was medicine to Europeans. Doctors prescribed the herb for ailments from halitosis to corns. It all started in 1492 when Columbus and his crew, the first Europeans to see tobacco, found West Indies islanders smoking crude cigars in tribal ceremonies.

Long before Columbus, nearly all the early peoples of the Americas held tobacco sacred. Originally, smoking was a right and function of witch doctors and priests. They used its narcotic effect to induce visions during solemn tribal rites. “Tobacco was intimately associated with their gods,” reports historian W. F. Axton, “not only in their religious observances but also in their curative or healing procedures, all of which were connected in one way or another with their religion.” But if tobacco’s medicinal use is what first caught the eye of Spanish and Portuguese explorers, its use for pleasure soon followed.

“I’ll have another cigarette/And curse Sir Walter Raleigh,” sang Beatles John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Sir Walter, called the “best-known propagandist among Englishmen for the recreative pipe,” grew tobacco on his estate in Ireland. He did his best to popularize the habit among fashionable society. Ahead of his time, he brings to mind the tobacco industrialist and advertising man of the ‘cigarette century.’

But it was the Thirty Years’ War in Europe, not Sir Walter’s charm, that made the 17th century the “Great Age of the Pipe,” says Jerome E. Brooks. “Chiefly through the agency of war,” he maintains, “smoking spread across the Continent” and into Asia and Africa. A similar development was to kick off the era of the cigarette.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

w736/1pp.338-339pars.12-15KeepingGod’sCongregationCleanintheTimeofHisJudgment***

This raises, however, the question of consistency as regards accepting for baptism persons still using tobacco. They too are enslaved to a harmful product, whether by smoking, chewing or snuffing it. Consider what a report in Science World of April 9, 1973, says:

"The drug . . . that causes the addiction is nicotine. . . . Within a minute or two after a person ‘takes a drag’ on a cigarette, nicotine is present in the brain. But 20 to 30 minutes after the ‘last drag,’ most of the nicotine has left the brain for other organs . . . . This is just about the time when the smoker needs another cigarette. . . . When there is no nicotine, the body ‘hungers’ for it. So much so that the body sometimes becomes ‘sick’ without it. Withdrawal symptoms—a sick feeling—begin. . . . Some of these symptoms are drowsiness, headaches, stomach upsets, sweating, and irregular heart beats."

Even worldly governments have been moved to issue serious warnings against the danger of tobacco use. Do, then, persons who have not broken their addiction to tobacco qualify for baptism?

The Scriptural evidence points to the conclusion that they do not. As has been explained in other issues of this magazine, the Greek word phar·ma·ki´a used by Bible writers and translated "practice of spiritism" or "spiritistic practices" has the initial meaning of "druggery." (Gal. 5:20; Rev. 9:21) The term came to refer to spiritistic practices because of the close connection between the use of drugs and spiritism. Tobacco was also used initially by the American Indians in this way. It can properly be placed, therefore, in the category of addictive drugs like those that provided the source for the Greek term phar·ma·ki´a. The nicotine in tobacco does not have the same mental and emotional effects produced by "hard" drugs such as heroin or the so-called psychedelic drugs like LSD; yet nicotine addiction does definitely affect the mind and exercises a strong enslavement. In Europe at the close of World War II, in some instances cigarettes were worth more than money. Reportedly, prostitutes sold themselves for a few cigarettes, and ordinary people sacrificed even food ration coupons to obtain tobacco.

• badboy
    badboy

IS TOBACCO REALLY A NARCOTIC?

• greendawn
    greendawn

What does smoking have to do with spiritism do any smokers get in touch with evil spirits through nicotine? The dubs used to smoke until the 1970's and never had such experiences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit