"Public Talks" and "Committee Meetings"!!

by Kudra 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Kudra
    Kudra

Arrrgh.-- in a funny way...

I just got an email from the department secretary announcing a "very special public talk" (by this visiting scholar etc) that will be tomorrow here at school-

Stuff like this is funny to me cause so many of the same expressions that the dubs use are used in school here... it used to creep me out but now I kinda revel in using as many of those expressions as possible cause it is a kick in the pants...!

Also- today I have a "Committee Meeting"!!!!

Oh NO!

But is is just my 5 advisors and I meeting for me to report on my research/schoolwork etc- these people are actually meeting with me to help me out, help plan the course of my work with me for the next few years and are a great group of people... There are even WOMEN involved that are ...*gasp* in a POSITION OF AUTHORITY and can *oh!* instruct the men!!

Too funny. These WTS buzzwords and the situation of being in a university are quite a crazy juxtaposition -I enjoy the humor in it...

:)

-K

• Kudra
    Kudra

Oh- and I want to ask you guys:

What weird phrases and institutional dub-type stuff do you guys run across in life that seems to be taken from "WT-speak"???

Do you feel funny using those words and phrases now?

Another example- in the lab people are always saying stuff like- "oh did you see the new article in <whatever journal> on <some new research topic>?

THAT always cracks me up. Did you read the new article?!?! Have you seen the new issue of ______?!?!?

Again, the weird juxtaposition of ACTUAL information with dub phrases...

• sandy
    sandy

I work with social workers and when I call them many times I'm told they're "out in the field". It doesn't bother me though, but at first I thought it was a little odd.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In da shipping department, dare is dis fellow- dis fellow shipped some wiskey, but it was "spiritually weak" so
    he got counselled by some elder fellows. Day recommended dis fellow shipping should repent, and his
    private reproof along with some restrictions was sufficient.

No, I guess I don't run into any of these phrases elsewhere.

• Kudra
    Kudra

OnTheWayOut- that's too funny!

sandy- yes! I also have used and use the phrase "out in the field" or "doing fieldwork" all the time!! -another good one...

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

"This system" when changing some computer stuff.

"I hate this system" This system has so many problems, I can't wait till we get the new system" (best one)

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I used to be a hit man for the maffia. I would make back calls.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I'm reading Fast Food Nation. Ray Kroc was quoted as saying, regarding possible franchisees, "The organization must not trust the man [franchisee], rather the man should trust the organization."

I think the the phrase " the organization" is going to be a very strange word for me...

• dobbie
    dobbie

'governing body', when my son started school they put out a letter about school governors and i asked jw sis in l to second him for the position but she refused as it sounded too political and she didn't think it was something she should get involved with - crap, all he does is discuss the curriculum, not like hes running for prime minister or anything!Anyway when i saw governing body mentioned it made me think of jws.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I think many JW terms jump out at you as an ex-JW outside the US. TV interviews and Americans programmes have a smattering of terms that are really only familiar to JW's in other countries.

I heard a US politician use the word 'arrangement' last night and immediately thought 'elder', 'marriage' etc.!

McD's and Burger King use the unifying effect of language in the same way. Even in NZ kids ask for 'fries', 'shakes' and 'hash browns' and staff say "How can I help you today?" Terms not otherwise used here.

I wonder if the present anti-US feeling has an effect on the recruitment of new Witnesses?? I mean, does the language create a mental turn off if you get what I'm trying to say?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit