I saw red

by DanTheMan 35 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

This morning I went to the break room at work to get a cup of coffee. A JW lady from the cong that I DA'd from 5 years ago was in there. Normally she doesn't say anything to me, but today she smiles big at me and says in a sing-song voice, "he-ey, The Memorial, April 7th!"

I thought to myself, oh no she didn't.

She kept looking at me and smiling, and my blood boiled.

I said, "so, do you think ol' Jesus is going to kill all the non-witnesses here?"

She blinked and shrugged her shoulders slightly, just like, eh, whatever, and says she just wanted to tell me about the memorial.

I still can't believe that this is happening. The Memorial? Are you f8cking kidding me? Don't you know how deeply I loathe that stupid publishing company that you've given your whole life to? Don't you know how silly I felt all those years dressing up in suits 4 or 5 times a week? Don't you know how much I hated the gossippy, shallow social culture of JW's? Don't you know how I nearly lost my mind feeling guilty because I didn't live up to Jehovah's Standards™? Don't you know the heartache your religion has caused for thousands of people who ran afoul of its star chamber judicial system? Don't you realize how ridiculously authoritarian they are?

And she sits there smiling at me. AS IF!!!

At this point I'm near rage, and I had to get out of there. I just couldn't believe her smugness, her plain stupidity for thinking that I would have even the slightest interest in going to the KH. So I say something about her "violent religion" and walk down the hall. One person I know must have heard me because she peaked her head over the cubical wall to see what was going on as I walked down the hall. I got back to my seat and tried to concentrate on my work, but I just couldn't. It took me a good while to calm down.

Later on I started feeling like I should apologize, so I sent a confidential email stating that I was sorry for getting upset, but to please understand that I wan't nothing at all to do with Jehovah's Witnesses. She responded, no problem, I won't bring it up again.

I know a lot of JWD'ers would have handled this differently. There's something about this lady though that triggers my disust for the religion. She's just so...simple. JWism is her life, and she doesn't doubt one tenet of it, not for a second. If Brooklyn came out with new light tomorrow stating that blood transfusions were ok or that Jesus died on a cross she'd be like, 'Ok! It's so great to have the truth!' It just irritates me that anybody believes that horseshite, and to invite me to come and feed at their horseshite trough with them, that was just too much.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dan:

I can understand your feelings, but try not to
    take it out on her. Remember, you may have
    been just as naive and gulliable as she.

Be thankful that you are aware and enlightened
    enough to know what the Watchtower is all about.

If anything maybe you should feel sorry for her
    because she's trapped, ignorant, and does not
    know any better.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    A JW lady from the cong that I DA'd from 5 years ago was in there. Normally she doesn't say anything to me, but today she smiles big at me and says in a sing-song voice, "he-ey, The Memorial, April 7th!"

I thought to myself, oh no she didn't

I think I understand your seeing RED,

I think I would have taken it like.........you must think you are reminding me that I am DA and to you I am dead.

The smugness just made it worse.

Your such a nice guy.......some day you will be able to walk away, not angry, but with a smile on your face like she was doing.

purps

• Gregor
    Gregor

Dan-O. You expressed your frustration with this Stepford-Witness very well! You did fine. A would give you a B+. It would have been an A if you had refrained from the apology e-mail. No big. I would have liked to hear that you had gone to her cubicle, peeked over with a smirky smile and said, "1914? (chuckle), 1975? (chuckle), no blood? (chuckle), they say there's one born every minute", then give a sad shake of the head and walk away.

• themonster123
    themonster123

I disagree with everyone-kudos to you for writing the apology.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

I've been in a bad space lately, lots of anger beneath the surface.

• Scully
    Scully

You would have wiped that smug look off her face real quick with a comeback like "If you ever harass me during working hours with your religious beliefs again, I am going to report you to Human Resources."

Some people just need to be reminded very clearly that there are boundaries that they need to respect.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

You did fine, and you don't have to concern yourself with what anyone else would have done. What you did was your response based on your life experience. No one else has had that. Nor do they know her. That you apologised was nice, though I don't quite know what you did to apologise about:) That she graciously accepted and agreed to not bring it up again though-I think you all around did a good thing. ! :)

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    she smiles big at me and says in a sing-song voice, "he-ey, The Memorial, April 7th!"

Actually it's April 2nd. I think you should report her to Bethel for Memorial-invitation incompentancy. Or using false dates. Oh wait.... Bethel doesn't care about using false dates...!

GGG

• Xena
    Xena

Frustration with her was understandable considering the situation and circumstances. JW's have got to be the most insensitive people (needless to say I suppose). "Does my shunning you offend?? Here come to our special special meeting where you can endure large groups of us engaging in it."

Your apology says a lot about the person you are IMO...someone who is sensitive to the feelings of others, even people like her. ie you are good people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit