Glass Clinking Still from Satan per latest QFR

by Open mind 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

My wife and I have for many years thought that glass clinking was soon going to go the way of wind chimes and pinatas. We were both blown away by the recent "Questions from Readers" saying that toasting is still the work of the Devil and not for Christians.

I even had an elder in my hall admit the logic didn't really hold up. Anyway, I thought it was definitely "food at the proper time" because my wife and I both think they're way out to lunch on this one, even though she's got a VERY LONG way to go, if ever, before she sees the truth about the troof.

Has anyone else read this thing?

Open Mind

• dawg
    dawg

I hope one day all will come to the realization of what quacks these people are. Good luck with your wife, my family has completely removed me from their conscienceness.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, any non-JW who is holding up his/her glass to heaven or invoking a blessing from "God" has to be invoking the devil, right? Or at the very least, pagan gods? Does God listen to the prayers of non-JWs; are they praying to the right person?

I just read this QFR and it is ridiculous to condemn people who honestly are requesting that the Christian God bless a couple.

• Spirit Axal
    Spirit Axal

Dawg. After reading that small last sentence, it seriousuly brought tears to my eyes after reading it twice.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

A warm welcome to Open mind and dawg. Hope you guys will stick around for a while and enjoy the show. I think this is a legacy of the contrarianism (did I just invent that word?) that Rutherford and Co. started way back in the '20s and '30s. Frankly, this is all I ever knew growing up. I had to explain to schoolmates and teachers why so many things were "against my religion". It was especially embarrassing because of the shear pettiness of the restrictions. I'm sure that more than one person thought that I was just being stuck up or antisocial on purpose for refusing to eat a piece of cake (for birthdays or holidays). It's just a stupid piece of cake for chrissake!! I once brought a mother's day card home because we made them in class. Well, my mom had to explain to me why we didn't "celebrate" mother's day! I thought I had done something nice, and I was told that it was "wrong". Stupid religion!

Dave

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Could someone post a scan of this so we can see this "life-giving" information coming from the imaginations of the WTS editorial staff?

• zack
    zack

I just read this QFR and it is ridiculous to condemn people who honestly are requesting that the Christian God bless a couple.

Exactly. God makes it rain and makes the sun shine upon the wicked and the good. The majority of people are just trying to gey by and find a little

comfort and happiness in a life that is all too short and problem plagued. Why condemn them?

The WTS is reprehensible.

• sinis
    sinis

JW's cherry pick every custom known to man. For example why wear a wedding ring, after all its pagan. Ties are military garb. Makeup has its roots in prostitution and incantations. Shaving is pagan. Windchimes are pagan. Weddings are pagan. The list goes on and on. JW's can't see the forest for the trees, and nit pick EVERYTHING as being.... oooooo Satan...

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Welcome open mind, dawg, and spirit axal,

I really hope they keep printing absurd crap like this. If they continue down their current hard-line, Pharisaical path, it's going to get really crowded here in JWDland(standing room only crowded).

A toast to the Governing Body and their self-destructive policies.

Nvrgnbk

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

The funny thing is that in that QFR they admit (I don't have my copy with me) that the custom may or may not have false religious ties. I did a little research on the internet and it seems no one is really sure where the custom came from and there are several theories. The WTS theory is one, but it is not conclusive.

Isn't there a scripture about how Jesus called out the Pharisees for straining out the gnat and gulping down the camel??

Cheers!

clink

Seriously, they would have been better off letting this die the same death as the windchime prohibition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit