Why not just leave religion alone altogether?

by dawg 21 Replies latest jw friends

• TopHat
    TopHat

Some Christians need a connection with other Christians and going to church helps them in an emotional and spiritual way......I can understand that...However, I haven't had the need as yet. I read the Bible everyday and pray for guidance. That is all I can do as I see it for now.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Why not just leave religion alone altogether?

Exactly what I have done, thank you very much! None of that stuff for me, it all makes me nauseus, sad, depressed and definetly very frustrated!why waste good time arguing or trying to figure it all out??

Although, I do enjoy reading some of the posts by born-agains for entertainment. ;P

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome, dawg, and godless.

Basically we hold on to religion because we come to identify with the beliefs as paramount to who we are.

Here is a good article which goes into detail: http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-11/beliefs.html

j

• Undecided
    Undecided

I go to church ocassionally with my wife to satisfy her and it's kind of interesting to see first hand how they act there. I'm getting more and more convinced that it is a worthless venture for me. My wife isn't too happy with any church right now, she knows too many who attend the local ones and their life is just as immoral as those who don't attend.(Especially those who have some special service in the congregation.) Some people get some kind of healing by going and can face death better. I'm just not convinced that some God is even interested in any religion and think it is all invented by humans and their need for some answers to questions that can't be known.

Ken P.

• oldflame
    oldflame

I do not attend church at all. Not that I have anything against some churches because there are some good ones. But I am quite comfortable with the personal relationship I have with the Lord. Thats how it supposed to be a personal relationship in your own heart. Instead of tithing I choose to donate my money to other places that really need our cash like St. Judes or Cystic Fibrosis or even the Aids foundation.

• TopHat
    TopHat

JT, I read the whole article to the link you posted and the info reminds me of the question "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

• themonster123
    themonster123

that's what i'm doing. I don't believe the Bible anymore-still not sure about GOd. Witnesses are crazy-and so is all other religions.

• Carmel
    Carmel

How do you spell "Innoculated"? Extrapolating from a misserable experiance with one member of the opposite sex that all are worthless is pretty thin logic, but then, it happens all the time. Most divorcees say they'll never marry again, but statistics betray them. carmel

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I tried going to church a couple of time since leaving the borg, but I don't feel I need to attend a service in a building, associate with other religious people to be a good person. I also tried reading the bible some for awhile, but found it to be very boring so I gave up.

So organized religion is not for me.

nj

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings dawg,

Re: Why not just leave religion alone altogether?

That's me

Dismembered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit