i can not get a grip on the whole "no longer a JW" annoucements...

by ?me? 32 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Old Light from the horse's mouth:

*** km 10/75 p. 8 Question Box ***

What action should the congregation take with regard to unbaptized associates who fall into serious wrongdoing?

The Organization book, page 174, shows that unbaptized wrongdoers who have been regularly associating with the congregation maybe disciplined in a way similar to the way baptized wrongdoers are handled. Some have asked, What is meant by "regularly associating"?

These are not newly associated persons who are studying and who still have their worldly ways. Rather, the persons referred to as "regularly associating" are those who have made some progress in the way of truth and who have been attending meetings regularly over a period of time. Usually they have been sharing in field service, are enrolled in the School, and have come to be regarded by others as being Jehovah’s witnesses.

If such an unbaptized associate falls into serious wrongdoing, the elders should talk to him about what is said in the Organization book, pages 128, 129. If after that he is still unrepentant, in spite of repeated efforts of the elders to help him with his problem, then the congregation and its members must be protected from the danger of contamination, in harmony with Paul’s counsel at Galatians 5:9. Announcement should be made that his conduct is "unbecoming a Christian," and that for anyone to continue associating with him would not be in harmony with the counsel of 1 Corinthians 15:33. He will be denied the privilege of giving student talks, participating in demonstrations from the platform, etc. No field service reports would be accepted from such a person. In the event the elders later are satisfied that this person shows fruits of repentance, it would be proper to announce that the restrictions on him have been lifted. With the elders taking the initiative, the congregation can then continue giving loving aid with the view of helping the repentant one along the way to life.

There may be others, not yet "regularly associating," who are studying and starting to attend meetings, but who are still contaminated with worldly uncleanness. Of course, no action needs to be taken against these, but they should be encouraged to lake steps to clean up their lives. Only when they have done this should they be invited to accompany the publishers in the field service, share in presentations from the platform, etc. (See Organization book, pages 128, 129.) It is our hope that, as they study and apply God’s Word, they will be motivated to make the necessary changes to become acceptable to Jehovah.

NEW LIGHT

*** w89 2/15 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

· Does the material on being approved by God mean that Christians may speak to one who once was considered an "approved associate" but later, because of wrongdoing, was to be avoided?

Yes, it does. TheWatchtower of November 15, 1988, showed why it is Scriptural to adjust our view of an unbaptized person who shares in the public ministry with Jehovah’s Witnesses. Formerly, such a person was termed an "approved associate." If he thereafter unrepentantly broke God’s laws, the congregation was alerted, and the members would then avoid association and conversation with him.

As the recent material showed, the Bible requires that such disciplinary action be taken in the case of baptized persons who are unrepentant wrongdoers. (1 Corinthians 5:11-13; 2 John 9-11) Yet, the accountability of an unbaptized person who pursues wrongdoing is not the same as that of one who is baptized. (Luke 12:48) He has not been baptized and thus has not become approved in God’s sight, so disfellowshipping is not appropriate in his case. Basically, he is now a worldly person and can be dealt with accordingly.

What, then, of one who was formerly termed an "approved associate" but who is no longer qualified for the public ministry because of his wrong course? Since he is not disfellowshipped, he should be treated as the person of the world that he is. Of course, the November 15 Watchtower advised on page 19 that due caution must be exercised by loyal Christians. These realize that the unbaptized person may well have shared in wrongdoing despite his having knowledge of God’s requirements. Mature Christians must be careful about socializing with such an individual. If questions arise as to the extent of contact that may be had with him, most of these can be resolved by following godly counsel. We can reflect on counsel such as that found at 1 Corinthians 15:33 and Proverbs 13:20 and ask ourselves: ‘What association would I properly have with a person of the world who is not living by Christian standards?’ If the elders see that a worldly person of this sort poses any threat, they can privately offer warning counsel to those in the congregation who seem to be endangered.

In time, an unbaptized person who had been an "approved associate" may give reasonable evidence of repentance, and he may desire to have a Bible study again. (Acts 26:20) He may speak to the elders of the congregation where he now attends, who, if it seems advisable, will arrange for him to have a Bible study. This will apply also if in the future someone is disqualified as an unbaptized publisher and later shows repentance. Usually, he ought to speak to the two elders who dealt with his wrongdoing or the two others whom the body of elders chose to review the matter if he requested that.

Appropriately, TheWatchtower explained that it is somewhat different in the case of parents caring for minor children in the home—those legally dependent minors for whom they are responsible to provide material support. (Ephesians 6:1-4) The Scriptures lay on the parents the obligation to instruct and guide their children. So the parents (or believing parent) may choose to conduct a private Bible study with the erring minor or to include him in the family’s program of Bible study and discussion.

While the recent Watchtower material calls for adjustment in our thinking and dealings, it is done in line with the Scriptures that are beneficial "for disciplining in righteousness."—2 Timothy 3:16, 17.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I kind of liked the idea of being considered "trouble in the organization"! I appreciate the posts explaining what was going on. I always kind of wondered if they forgot I hadn't been baptised since I went to meetings since I was an infant.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Jeffro: Thanks for digging up the '52 WT article. I don't think they have never "recalled" this interpretation. The mind-set certainly prevails in dubdom today.

Blondie: So that whole "aproved associate" thing had a shelf life of 13 years, from 1975 to 1988? My God, what were we thinking when we read this crap and swallowed it down as more "food at the proper time?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit