Did you stop singing the songs BEFORE you stopped going to meetings?

by zack 37 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

just reading this thread at least three songs popped in my head.

lisa

true prophseeeeeeee.......my ass

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Stopped singing a year or so before I began to start missing more and more meetings. I had also quit turning in time, told the B.S.C. and the Secretary or whoever sent msg to mom. That the left hand ain't suppose to know what the right hand is doing and vice versa. They started giving me the song and dance about mom using the time to do whatever. But i refused to turn in time anymore they didn't like it but the I was always going out just wasn't turning in time.

• Gill
    Gill

Probably. Can't really remember.

I know we sing them a lot now but with our own versions of lyrics.....which I don't think the FDS would approve.

I realised that my kids still had some 'residual trauma' from having been JW, and the best way to alleviate it is to laugh at the monster that tormented you.

'Keep Your Eyes on the Prize!' is a regular shout in our house, especially when someone has a school exam coming up or dentist visit...or whatever. It has us all falling about laughing!

I recommend 'rewriting' those crazy songs.....you can have great fun!

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I haven't actually sang a note of a 'kingdom song' since I left Bethel in 96.

• undercover
    undercover

I barely sang even when I was still in at the height of my indoctrination.

I'm not a good singer and figured why make everyone suffer? I remember being in the vicinity of other bad singers who really belted it out and we would laugh and make fun of them. I knew I sang just as bad, but at least I knew it and saved others from it.

When I first started having major doubts and had started researching things, I stopped faking my singing and I stopped praying. I stood quietly but with my head not bowed and my eyes not closed during prayer. After all those years of screwing my eyes shut and putting my chin on my chest, it was amazing to see the things that went on during prayers around the hall when I started looking around. People playing with babies in the row in front of them, elders digging for papers in their oversized book bags, kids picking their noses and some people looking around just like me...invariably I'd make eye contact with some of them and we'd both quickly look down.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I used to make up alternate lyrics as we sang. They were usually, things like "This is pathetic, what we sing, I'd rather buy a diamond ring, if you keep your money you'll realize, you can afford to buy more pize."

Stuff like that,

Couldn't sing them to save my life.

Used to really belt it out before...

W.Once

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

I can't sing them. I will sometimes just move my mouth making sure I get the "F" "T" and "S" on cue so the brothers who will judge my repentance think I'm singing.

• DJK
    DJK

I was lip sync'ing those songs since 1964. Hell, I probably invented lip sync.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I stopped singing some of the songs long before I ever thought of leaving the cult. Here's the one, in part, that enraged me every time I heard it:

"Jehovah gives us shepherds too, who strive to teach with insight. Their educated tongue reflects that in their heart they're upright."

Every time I heard that song I wanted to start beating the elders with a chair.

I shouldn't have thought about that song now, while I'm eating lunch.

W

• BFD
    BFD

I have not stepped foot in a KH since 1976 and after reading this thread I can remember all the words to "We Thank You Jehovah"

How sick is that!?!

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit