Is It Impossible To Reach A Devout JW ???

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

I have not much hope for the old (I am 60 so I can say that), only for the young to leave, that path tho still not to be easy but at least not starting in a big hole.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

I think the only thing we can do is try to plant a seed of doubt and hopefully it will make them think for themselves.

• James Free
    James Free

"It is because they are 'captives of a concept' The concept that it is God's Organization, and as long as they believe that..." This is my view. I have a degree, am considered clever by many, but I fell for the JW Org. claptrap for many years. Why? Because, although I could see many wrongs, I was assured it was God's org. and to leave it was certain death. "Humble people wait on Jehovah to fix the rest." But eventually, something within me made me wake up to the possibility I was being conned. Like many others, reading Ray Franz's book was the clincher. He put into words what I had been seeing and thinking for years! I won't say it is impossible, but almost. The org. is so good at making you believe ANY disagreement with the Org is part of a trap by Satan himself to destroy a person's faith. So people resist any such challenge. (Interesting that Resister is one of the meanings of Satan or devil - ironic) Doubts must start from within. Then, and only then, can the truth get out. As a devout believer, I may have even read Ray's book and rejected what he said as apostate...

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

A resister challenges without respect: respect for Jehovah, respect for Jehovah's spirit, respect for how he's delegated authority.

— Fred.

• James Free
    James Free

Ah, so that's the difference...Just wondering, how respectful of God is it to falsely claim authority from him? You know, like the GB does even when it admits all power was given to the FDS, yet says the 'represent' them, even without seeking any permission to do so.? That sounds even more like something Satan would do...thanks.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

I'll let Jehovah and Jesus Christ do the judging on this one, since it is Jehovah who is the author of his Holy Scriptures, and it was Jesus Christ who uttered and enacted the prophecy about the FDS.

• James Free
    James Free

I see the post topic is right! I never challenged the Org. view of the FDS. I actually asked, if they are supposed to be the ones in charge, how come the GB have taken over since 1975? Shouldn't the FDS be in charge? And if you mistakenly believe the GB is the FDS, check again - the Org says they are all the remnant of the 144000 alive today. And nobody on the GB asked their permission to rule in their place! And if any of the FDS objects, they are disfellowshipped! In fact, the May WT says even the ministerial servants and elders, neither of which belong to the FDS, are more important in the Org. I don't blame you for keeping your eyes closed and saying you will leave it to Jehovah to judge while you blindly follow. I used to be the same way! - But we are a little different - the GB says YOU should not be using this site. In the past, I would have obeyed them. But honestly, I am glad you ignore their instructions. It's a good start, and we can at least have this conversation.

• DHL
    DHL

I think a devout JW is not that different to an alcoholic. He has to find out himself that something's wrong. No other person can reach him if he doesn't want to see it himself.

But I think for a religious person this is even more difficult than for an alcoholic, because it's about a religion and therefore about GOD himself. A person who believes in a god usually feels deep respect towards this god and might therefore probably not dare to question the religion he's in because this could make him feel like questioning god, too, which he doesn't wish to or feels like he doesn't have the right to.

Also for a religious person his religion is the basement of his life. Who would easily pull the foundation of his life from under himself if he can avoid it?

So I absolutely understand JWs even if I don't like what I see.

• minimus
    minimus

Thank you for your comments on this thread. They are all very enlightening!!!

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

To me, reaching me (whoever I might be) could mean that (1) I have read your words, (2) I have understood your words, (3) I have reacted to your words, (4) I have been motivated by your words, and/or (5) I have change my heart/mind in some way as a results of your words. Probably all of that is true, if the Creator would have His say about me right now.

To me, JW could mean (1) someone that identifies with the term JW, for whatever reason, whether with a friend, an acquaintance, or even on a census or in a conversation with a complete stranger; (2) someone that others believe to be a JW, based on words/appearances; (3) someone that the Christian Congregration of Jehovah's Witnesses identifies as being a JW, based on the elders' rulings formed from their interactions with/about the particular individual; and/or (4) someone that Jehovah recognizes as one of his own Witnesses.

To me, devout could mean (1) someone that identifies with the term devout, for whatever reason and in whatever circumstance; (2) someone that others believe to be devout, based on words/appearances; (3) someone that the Christian Congregration of Jehovah's Witnesses identifies as being devout (good/exemplary standing), based on the elders' rulings formed from their interactions with/about the particular individual; and/or (4) someone that Jehovah recognizes as devout.

Perhaps this analysis may further assist in answering this question. From that arises the question as to what the motive might be in asking such a question: is it past experience?, etc. Also, given that the person actually is a Devout JW acccording to whatever criteria is used for reach/devout/JW, what common ground is there between the given person(s) and that Devout JW?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit