"Hey buddy, can you spare a dime?"

by gumb 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumb
    gumb

"Hey buddy, can you spare a dime?"

We can all help make the world a better place to live in without even involving our purse/wallet, and requiring only a tiny amount of time. These 'dime time' acts of kindness to our fellow human beings can help reduce stress in others and therefore contribute to a happier world. Here is an example of what I mean - bear in mind that in the UK we drive on the left.

You're driving in your car towards a set of traffic lights on a crossroads. It's your right of way straight ahead, but you notice another vehicle on the opposite side of the road indicating to turn across your path to the road on your left. There is a queue of other vehicles stuck behind this vehicle. Do you drive on thinking to yourself, "Well that's their problem!", or do you say to yourself, "I know how I would feel being stuck behind this person, and who knows when the lights are going to turn red, so I'll give way to him/her so the others can get moving"?

I'd like to hear of other examples of opportunities for 'dime time' altruism.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Where it is within reason, I try to offer the courtesy of allowing the driver facing me the opportunity to turn. Often at the expense of others behind me, though. You never really know balance of each situation, but I try to let them go through as we who are already travelling in the direction we wish to go, are better able to proceed about our lives.

I'll at times let those in the supermarket who have only a few items, pass me by at the check-out counter, then there are those moments when I say to myself, " Self, that's the reason that they have express lines. This indiviual can preen and silently plead all they want, I ain't letting them jump ahead. "

A very delicate balance.

• gumb
    gumb

Good points about balance, prophecor, and of course weighing the feelings an needs of one set of people against another.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I helped a cousin and her husband to do some maintainace work in their home. I helped the child of a neighbour to improve on arithmetic and dictation.

• Hannah
    Hannah

Giving up the last slice of pizza or homemade chocolate chip cookie when you didn't even get one. Holding doors open with a smile---whatever happened to this simple courtesy? And if someone does hold a door open, a pleasant "thank you" with a smile goes a long way to making someone feel good. Loading bags of groceries into an elderly person's vehicle. Smiling to all those you come in contact with or pass by and using simple manners contributes to happier people. Take notice to those around you wherever you are. Perhaps you'll notice someone who's calling out "hey buddy, can you spare a dime?" You'll be a happier person because you observed them and said "yes I can".

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Some years back, a group of scientist went to Africa on an excavation. One scientinst noticed that the natives were very keen shooters of projectiles, arrows and spears. He noticed one native shooting spears at very small obejects,( about the size of a quarter). One of the (african) american scientists approached the native and asked him; "Hey brother, can you spear a dime?

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Fisherman

That one is what we consider "a groaner"....haha

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

My attitude on being benevolent toward other drivers varies...sometimes I am, but other times if I'm in a hurry I will speed on by. This attitude fluctuates, depending on the competence of the last driver I tried to cut some slack. Meaning, I hate it when you try your damnedest to accomodate a driver who is obviously stuck at a crossing, but then pussyfoots around about going ahead and merging into traffic. I'm nicer when the last person I gave a break to actually takes it, and meaner when the last person I tried to help sat there like a dolt.

I do hold open doors for women at every opportunity (and privately get miffed when not thanked for it), and otherwise in general try to be a decent fellow. Although, being completely honest, must admit that the prettier the woman, the more likely I am to open the door for her... does that make me a bad person? As for actually giving people change when asked...I am adamantly opposed to it. I have no mercy in me whatsoever for people not willing to work for what they want. A lot of this has to do with an experience I had about a decade ago...:

I was working construction at the time, and a guy was sitting on the trashcan outside the door of the fastfood place I went to for lunch one day. I saw as a I approached that as patrons entered, he accosted each one, panhandling change. When my turn came, I told him I only had a $20 (the truth). He had the gall to say "well then, give me your change when you come back out." Initially I was angered by this, but the fastfood place had one of those contests going at the time where you won various prizes by peeling stickers off the food packaging; I won a free meal combo on my sticker. Repenting of my anger, I decided to give him the sticker so he could get something to eat (which was what he said he wanted the money for). I was then cussed up one side and down the other, called a racist, and he threw the sticker down on the pavement. I've never given even a penny to a bum since, let alone a dime.

AATW, of the slightly tipsy and should probably shut up before this turns into a rant class...oops, too late.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

lol @ AATW

Something similar to the begging incident happened to me at the rail station some years ago - a lady was begging for change and I genuinely didn't have any, in fact almost no money at all - just my rail ticket and a packed meal of sandwiches, fruit and a drink. She was insistent "But I'm poor and hungry" so I gave her an apple, she looked at me and said "I don't need that" to which I innocently and honestly replied "But you said you were hungry." She'd made such a scene in front of everyone about how hungry she was that she had to take it, then she stomped off really annoyed, I was just waiting for the apple to hit me on the back of the head until I boarded the train!

I too don't give money to beggars, there are gangs of 'professional' ones operating where I live. I do buy 'Big Issue' mags though and will try to take time to chat with vendors, which they appreciate a lot.

Just a smile or a kind word and good manners can go a very long way and it costs us nothing.

• gumb
    gumb

Thanks to everyone who made a contribution to this thread.

SadEmo and AATW made good points about the true 'needs' of beggars. As a rule I don't give to beggars, as I believe that in the UK we have government funded social and security nets to make the need for begging unnecessary. However, some years ago I did give some money to someone who said they needed to catch a bus home, but had lost the money; I decided to give the person the benefit of the doubt in that case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit