Jehovah's Witnesses have no clergy-laity division - Right or Wrong?

by truthseeker 21 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Eduardo:

I agree with you and I do not accept the elders inserting themselves as intermediaries between individuals and Jesus and God. Their claim does make them a de facto priesthood. The problem I have is how they have insulted the intelligence of the congregation over this and other matters.

LHG

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

No clergy? Just try to correct an elder, better yet a CO or DO, in public. Ask an elder or a CO to clean a toilet, ( I did and so do some rare others) most would look at you like you're crazy. I remember very politely questioning some instructions from a CO after he criticized the way I conducted the TMS(in an elders meeting). When I pointed out that I was simply following the most recent instructions in the KM, reading them politely to all, he informed me that what the KM said was nice and all but he wanted his way. He was not so polite. No clergy, my ass!

I, like many others here could go on for hours with these true-life experiences.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yeah, right, everyone is equal, but some more equal than others...didn't I just read that on another post? (yes, I know it's a quote.) The only way the elders seem different from other clergy is that they don't wear funny clothing, so strangers can't tell how special they are.

• sir82
    sir82
    Circuit Overseers may receive a stipend, a free car, housing, free auto insurance, free health insurance

No "may" about it, at least in the US.

Each congregation is hit up annualy for $8 per publisher to pay for CO health & auto insurance. $8 X 1 million publishers = $8 million dollars.

$8 million dollars divided by 650 or so COs in the US equals about $12,000 per year to cover their insurance needs.

Oh, and the $8 isn't voluntary" or a "suggested contribution". Forgot to send it, and you quickly get a reminder about paying for the "privilege".

• rebel8
    rebel8

When I was a fake pioneer, I had an ID card that said I was an ordained minister. I was instructed to bring it when I reported for jury duty and tell them I need to be excused because I am a minister. Rank and file jws were never given ID cards like that back then and were not allowed to say that to the court. R&F were told to say it was against their conscience to serve in jury duty but not to claim they needed to do their duty of field service.

• metatron
    metatron

Clerical privilege in a religious context? Among elders? Who claim to be ministers?

Ipso facto, clergy.

The existence of clergy also has come up in court cases involving Kingdom Halls as disputed

property, as in Bonham, Texas.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Clergy or no clergy the fact is that we have here those fulfilling the functions of clergy and what's really bad is their complex hierarchical structure with the extremely dictatorial GB at the top controlling the dub masses through Bethel heads, DO's COs, elders and ministerial servants. It's a far cry from the simple hierarchical model of overseer, elder and deacon.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Why were there only 12 apostles? Why were there priest in Israel? Why prophets and Kings? It seems any group of humans must have leaders to operate, religion is no different. I didn't like being a leader so I quit, it was too demanding for me. God even has archangels in heaven. Don't ask me to explain how a God wants us to operate without leaders of some kind.

Ken P.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The Watchtower claims they have no clergy class, but we know that's a farce, they always jump on the clergy exemptions every chance they get, they love to ride the coattails This will be exposed eventually, given the right time and the circumstances.

• JeffT
    JeffT

If they have no clergy any one can stand up in a meeting and say what they think the Bible means. Try that at a meeting and let us know how it goes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit