Husband made them run away

by muse 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• muse
    muse

My husband, never a JW, is at home because he has a broken arm and off work. A couple of days ago the door knocks and two JWs are at the door, a man and a woman. The man starts to make conversation and hubby says that he is not interested in organised religion. Before they can reply he is carrying on and starts to tell them how they are the same as all other religions in their rules and their oppression of their followers. The man tries to argue back by saying well how do you deal with miscreants, you have to have rules. To which Husband says that obviously murderers, thieves etc should be dealt with in the correct way but he was referring to the petty rules they have and cited no beards, what you can and cannot wear, who you can associate with and when etc and then said that the one thing he cannot understand is if he was a JW and he decided it was not for him and got disfellowshipped that they would cut him off and he would not be allowed to speak to his family. Unbelievably the man at first tried to say they did not do that and that is when Husband said that his Father in Law was an elder and his wife was an ex JW and that he knew exactly what they do. It was at this point the man started leaving (apparently at some speed down the path) and was trying to coax the woman to follow him as she was standing there with her mouth open. I am very proud of hubby and he was in a really good mood after that (he has seen how being brought up as a JW has affected me).

The one thing I find odd is that I have also had 'discussions' with them at the door where I have openly admitted that I am an ex-JW and how I abhored the shunning, mentioned 1975 and how I was at Wembley Stadium in the late 1960's and they most definitely were whipping up the frenzy and knew exactly what they were doing, the generation change etc and yet they still come back. I would have thought I would be down as a 'Do Not Call' or do they not do that anymore.

I do not post very often on the forum but do enjoy keeping in touch by reading but I just had to share that one with you all.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Good for him! I cant believe they would actually try to say they dont shun.........what hogwash!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Theyll probably give you the old "we arent FORCED to shun we CHOOSE to avoid association for those who have left Jehovah." Its just double talk. The proof is in the puddin.

Good on ya hubby!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Many publishers miss the DO NOT CALL notations on territory cards, or the card gets re-done and
    they leave your name off, sometimes intentionally in case you moved and the new householder
    needs "the truth."

Great story. Sad part- the JW probably believed the "we don't do that" part and only left because
    he saw your husband as irrational, when quite the opposite is true.

• unique1
    unique1

They told my grandmother in law that as well. She said well my granddaughter is being shunned by her parents. They replied with something like I must have done something very wrong and not been repentant. Grandma replied with, all she did was decided she didn't want to be a member anymore. They replied with well we don't shun those. It was just weird. Grandma got me alone on Christmas and made sure she hadn't misunderstood what I told her about my parents not speaking to me. She didn't. Those JW's were just liars.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Your husband did right by pointing out the serious consequences of the Watchtower's rules and regulations. It's good that he had first hand knowledge and experience to overcome the feeble defense of the JW at the door.

Jehovah's Witnesses must learn that they are responsible for upholding the dictates of their leaders. Because they have put faith in a man's organization, they rarely think how it effects others. The Watchtower often speaks of "blood guilt" and "community responsibility." The same principles apply to each and every Witness when they uphold the cruel and unchristian policies of the Watchtower....some of which has led to the untimely death of their fellow members.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Good for your husband!! My husband did the same thing to an older JW at his work.

I had two witness women come to our house last year. I answered the door thinking it was the neighborhood kids coming to play with my son, and they started right in to their speech. I stopped her and said I'm disfellowshipped and I know all about the magazines. The lady that had been speaking just looked at me with a deer in the headlights look. The lady behind her actually gasped out loud and covered her mouth with her hand. It was hillarious! They just stood there. I then told them "It's okay..you can turn around and leave now!" Classic...

• free2think
    free2think

Good for your husband! Something tells me they won't be coming back for round two.

• free2think
    free2think

Sorry double post.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

These are funny and sad at the same time!

The one and only time they came to my door at this house and asked me what my feelings were about Jehovah's witnesses, I told them, "I don't really give you guys much thought." SHOCK!! YOU MEAN YOU DON'T THINK ABOUT JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES? Disbelief! How can that be?????? We're everywhere! We preach the good news in 237 lands! We're IMPORTANT!!!, Gaddamit!

"Uh, yeah, right."

My mother in law was talking to my husband about some "brother" who had killed a baby his wife babysat, got disfellowshipped, went to jail, got out of jail... She was saying, "Tony is doing sooooo good. He's coming to all the meetings, going out in service...." My husband said, "Tony, the-baby-killer Tony?"

hehehehe that was funny.

Well, we just found out Tony the baby-killer just got df'd again. I hope he didn't kill another baby.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit