My daughter has an assembly part....

by megsmomma 23 Replies latest jw friends

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Re-thinking...Welcome...Your post gives me hope! (most that were giving the parts are out now) That is what I am hoping for!! PLanting those little seeds of truth into her so someday she will see what they do.(Even if her dad is too DUmB to know)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

need proof - I agree - the nerves never got any better. I get embarrassed talking to just one person, on the phone!

She has to do this part for all 3 of their assemblies in the circut....

this isn't so unusual - I knew that this was quite common before in the UK. I think it was just easier to have the same set of people doing the demo's.

I'd be interested to know though if she is doing this in the experiences section - because these are supposed to be true experiences. Or if it is a demonstration of how to act if you are 8 and your teacher disobeys prejudice laws of the country????

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

Great job putting a positive spin on it and helping your daughter see that it isn't really true. I've witnessed instances of Elders fishing for examples of "persecution" against kids in school and asking them leading questions on the platform just fill a part in the service meeting. I honestly think that the Dubs create scary "worldy people" scenarios for people and pump it into their heads so repeatedly that over time they actually believe they are "true". It's their way of polarizing the R&F. Never in a million years would a teacher here get away with teasing a child for any reason. The teacher would be fired, and it would instantly be on every talk radio station across the country.

FBF

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Strength to you, MM. I am happy to hear that you were able to talk with your daughter
    about this experience and find some good in it.

• nsrn
    nsrn

I remember being 'used' in the program at assemblies a couple of times. She'll hear about how priviledged she is be used as an example for other Christian youth (am I the only one who cringes at the word "Youth" or, even worse, "Youths"?) I remember preening a little at the idea of sitting on the platform and feeling pretty self-righteous. When I became old enough to get baptized but was a hold-out, those parts disappeared, thank goodness.

• needproof
    needproof

Hi Crumpet,

and of course do you remember the awful dread that filled your heart moments before making your way onto the platform? As though somebody had a knife and was sticking it right through.

• freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

I think you handled that perfect!

there was *some* benefit to learning to speak in public. she will feel like she has a listening, unprejudiced ear with you. that will keep communication open for the bigger issues as they come up.

well done momma!

• unique1
    unique1

I think you handled that great. You could even take it one step further and take her shopping for her assembly dress, hose and shoes. While shopping tell her although you are no longer a witness, you support her decision to do an assembly part and that you will continue to support her in the future, whether she decides to be a witness or not.

Good luck!

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I remember having two assembly parts. One for the Circuit assembly when I was a young teenager and then one for the District Convention as an older married teenager. I had to do these parts for several different dates. The good that comes of it is, it helps with your speaking abilitiy, and making other friends in other circuits. Your daughter is about the age of my son. He still goes occasionally with his JW dad. My son says he only goes to see his friends! At least, your daughter will have those friendships for now, until she decides on her own if she wants to continue going with her dad. But whatever she decides, she'll know she has her moms support no matter what, and she'll never forget that!!

• DJK
    DJK

Twice at assemblies and many times at the KH, it never got easier. Experience of course will help, but I think it may be a gift to have the ability to do public speaking in any forum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit