Did anyone get the old "counterfeit money" illustration?

by themonster123 40 Replies latest jw friends

• themonster123
    themonster123

A couple of my old Witness girlfriends came over last night (note-I only recently left the org. like 2 MONTHS ago, so people are still trying to get me to come back and "reason" with me)...and they used that stupid "counterfeit money" illustration. I swear, EVERY time I tell people I don't think it's the Truth, they put that old illustration on me!

Do you know it? It goes like this..."You don't have to study all the counterfeit money to recognize the real thing. Just study the real dollar bill and you won't HAVE to study the others."

That logic ALWASY bothered me cuz it AUTOMATICALLY cuts off any investigation into other religions by basically saying they're ALL counterfeit! So...I think that's a way of using mind control is that stupid illustration that already writes off all other religions FOR you so that you're basicallly already told theyr'e ..."counterfeit."

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    Just study the real dollar bill

This is what I would have stated.

I am and have, from where I am standing the dollar bill is losing its credibility and buying power. No wonder Jesus said to buy gold from him, that is where I am turning to Christ, you can have your dollar bill.

abr

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

yep.

it's in the bible teach book.

it's amusing that they point fingers when they're guilty of the same thing.

• Zico
    Zico

You're right, stupid illustration.

What if you were given a counterfeit to begin with and told (and believed) it was the real thing? Then, when you came across the real thing, you'd reject it.

• unique1
    unique1

Exactly Zico. Just what I was going to say.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I used to be a bank teller many years ago. All the tellers received training in spotting counterfeit money. Just knowing the look and feel of genuine bills was not enough. We were given many examples of counterfeit bills to observe and handle, so that we would be able to easily spot the fakes during banking transactions.

The WTS's stance that they are the real thing should easily be able to stand up to scrutiny of other "counterfeit" religions. The only reason they don't want you to check out other religions is their fear you will easily come to see how counterfeit they (the WTS) are.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Yes, tell them that if you had been given nothing but counterfeit your whole life, then when the real thing came around, you would reject it. The only way to know for sure then would be to be shown from the feds what was real -- so you got your truth (money) from Jesus (feds) ... Also, I was also a bank teller and to learn how to detect counterfeit, we would study counterfeit money as well as the characteristics of the real stuff. Also talk about the Boreans in scripture who constantly made sure that what Paul was teaching was so. They were commended for that and we too should examine to make sure that what they say is true. There is also a quote from I think the truth book that says that its ok to examine to make sure you are being taught the truth. The truth can defend itsself. If what they are teaching is true, it can stand under criticism.

• 5go
    5go

Please tell me they pulled out a federal reserve note. Which is a technicaly and legaly counterfiet dollar.

I would of had them pinned.

They would of left crying then of course called the cops.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have heard this more times than I care to remember

• undercover
    undercover

I don't remember hearing that one...typical JW illustration though.

Here's one that I heard a while back; someone was "concerned" over my being inactive and wanted to approach me about it. Another friend told them not to get anything started by prying to which the first "concerned" person said, "well, if someone was in a burning house, you'd want to warn them wouldn't you?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit