Did anyone get the old "counterfeit money" illustration?

by themonster123 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Zico
    Zico

'Yes, in fact. There are special security features that are increasingly being added around the world. As the counterfeiters become more clever in copying one bill, it is often replaced by another with different security features.'

Do you mean the governing body have to change the religion when people recognise it's flaws?

• M.J.
    M.J.

I brought this up a while back: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/118273/1.ashx

The Bible Teach book throws in a twist to this one though. They throw in the suggestion that "what the Bible really teaches" is the real thing, and everything else is counterfeit...ok, but that still pre-supposes the WTS view is "what the Bible really teaches" to begin with.

Another thing I object to about this is that the WTS peddles "truth" like it's a package deal. An all-or-nothing proposition: "We have the Truth, therefore everything we teach is true."

• zack
    zack

FIrst of all, it isn't an ILLUSTRATION--- it is MISDIRECTION with a word picture. It isn't even a good metaphor. Frankly, I never thought

most illustrations used by JW's were good. Illustrations should make a person think and see the logic of the arguement for themselves as they

discern the relationship between what is being illustrated and the truths and priciples it should reinforce. JW's do not want you to think.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

We must worship God with our power of reason. To do this, we must make the truth our own. To do this, we must think, and very carefully; we live in Satan's world, after all.

• knock knock
    knock knock
    Christendom is likened to a sucker that has fallen to the ground. Would you pick it up and eat it?

5 second rule.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

I've heard of the 5-second rule, but I doubt that it would stand up under proper scrutiny, unlike God's Word.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

It's a pretty useless illustration really.

Imagine that someone has never seen money, and they're then shown some Monopoly money, and told that it is real money.

From then on, they 'know' that any other money is counterfeit. They're still wrong.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

An illustration is like a joke. Some people will get it, some people won't. But there is a truth in it somewhere. It just can't be used as a be-all, end-all.

• zagor
    zagor

Speaking of money I doubt they would notify proper authorities if they found some counterfeit in donation box ...

anyhow, oh yes the illustration, well it flies in their face really, there is much more real money in circulation than fake one so by that very token they would be counterfeit and nearly everyone else real money. But what I find more interesting is that WTBS taught then to use money as an illustration, ;)

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

Money always has to get to a bank sometime. So counterfeit would be found and dealt with accordingly.

When there are rogue governments, there may be no administration for currency regulation. That's pretty much what we have in these dying days of Satan's system. That's soon to change, when Revelation 19 is fulfilled. At least, the heavenly administration is in place since 1914, and the "temple" is being cleansed as we speak.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit